• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting my headers

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
so i have pacesetter headers on my truck they are a bit rusty and i want to paint them cause i cant afford to replace them ik i need header paint but as far as prep work goes anything special i got to do besides sanding?

Def sand, wire brush or bead blast first and clean well with brake clean or something after. Your gonna want High Heat CERAMIC paint for your exhaust. If you are going to paint your headers and midpipe, I wouldn't use anything less than a 1200 degree paint. 1200 degree and 1500 degree bbq paint will work well for the headers. Duplicolor makes multiple ranges of colors for 1200 degree ceramic paint.

Def sand, wire brush or bead blast first and clean well with brake clean or something after. Your gonna want High Heat CERAMIC paint for your exhaust. If you are going to paint your headers and midpipe, I wouldn't use anything less than a 1200 degree paint. 1200 degree and 1500 degree bbq paint will work well for the headers. Duplicolor makes multiple ranges of colors for 1200 degree ceramic paint.

thanks man i think its going wait until im on thanksgiving brake from school i got about 3-4 days off during that time i think that should be enough time for removal prep paint drying and install correct?

yeah. No point in rushing the job. Its a couple hours job just getting the header off anyways. Prep and clean right the first time. Its last longer down the road.

Hows the saying go.. "Never enough time to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough time to do it again." :doh:

The ceramice engine enamal actually dries pretty quick i thought. (500 deg stuff) I painted my rock rails and steering with it. Great stuff and super chip resistant.

Use more coats than you think is neccesary, I used header ppaint on my bike, and its getting thin after only a couple seasons

Yea the Duplicolor ceramic 1600o F paint is good stuff, and dont hesitate to put several coats Inside the tubes also, it helps, especially where the gases hit the outside edges of bends - seems like it burns off much slower when I have done that.

Back