• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank swap

irish1281

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about getting a larger gas tank, but I don't know what would be the best option. I was thinking about going with a GC 20gal. any suggestions. Penny budget, just so you know.

PM me your vin and I can look at the Jeeps build sheet. Some came with 18 gal, mine came with 20 gal. Just to be sure your sending unit is not lying to ya.

Early model maximum OEM is 20.2g, as Souske said it's a vent thing, dirty trick by AMC really, Chrysler ultimately stopped producing the "two" tanks and standardized on the 20.2g one.

There used to be a 32 gallon aftermarket tank made by Rocky Road Outfitters if I recall, I'm not sure they still exist; alterntively Genright has a 30.5g one but we're talking $800 MSRP for that puppy.

Rocky Road strikes me as shiesty. Plus their customer service sucks if you have a problem with your parts.

Just go to the parts store and have them look up a tank. Will have two versions. A 13 gallon and a 20 gallon. As stated above and I can varify. They are the same exact outside dimensions. They use the same sender as each other as well, with in each year range that is. In both my 89's there where 13 gallon tanks. I just bought 20 gallons stock tanks from oriellys and changed them out. Simple R&R.

agreed, mine is a 13 gallon and I hate it. Im currently looking at options for a larger tank.

Back