• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Abs delete

morgan320i

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj my abs pump went out i wanna switch to a regular system, i did some research but got so many dif answers, who here has done it , looking for a list of every part i need,
Thanks
Morgan

I did this on my 1990, helped a bud do a few more RENIX Jeeps.

First, you need to source a booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. If you get these parts from the same era Cherokee, they should bolt up with no modification. We pulled ours from '95/'96 Cherokees. We had to enlarge the eye-hole in the rod to the pedal, and grind a flat spot for the brake light switch.

Second, unless you are good at making double flares in steel line, source replacement lines that match the proportioning valve. I did it the hard way, tried using the already work-hardened lines in the '90. I broke down and got the front lines from a junkyard donor. The rear is spliced together with a Union. My bud got all the hard lines from a junkyard donor. He said they were much easier to work with for the lack of rust at the fittings. We'll touch on another observation he made in a minute.

Third is the wheel cylinders. The ABS operates at a much higher pressure and has smaller diameter wheel cylinders in the back, along with 9-inch diameter drums. I'm not sure, but I think the vacuum-boost wheel cylinders should bolt in with no problem. Changing the brake drums entails pulling the axle shafts and changing the backing plates with all associated hardware.

Both of us experienced a soft pedal feel after swapping the booster/master/prop valve. My bud changed the wheel cylinders and rubber brake line at the back before he could get the pedal to feel "normal." For the time I had the ABS drums, I lived with the feel. I recently changed the rear axle (with 10-inch drums) and soft line. My pedal feel is back to normal.

HTH

No, if you get the newer booster, you need to modify it to work with your pedal.

my abs Proportioning Valve wont work?
Absolutely not.

995speed said:
my abs went out to i just took the bulb outta the gauge cluster and left the unit and everything in place.
You don't have the Bendix 9 ABS. It is very distinct, and works differently from later ABS systems.

2012-09-25182327.jpg

Aha! finally found one of these threads.

So my ABS pump started leaking on me, it looks like chrystler has a lifetime warranty on this part, so to save myself some immediate headache, I'm going to see if they will give me one that doesn't.

Either way, read a few threads that don't deal exactly with an ABS conversion, but this one got me interested in doing an upgrade/swap:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924285&highlight=booster+master+cylinder

The thing I'm trying to figure out, do I need to replace all the lines? Do I need to remove the tone wheels/wiring? (I'm guessing not at least on removing tone wheels)

I've also seen some mention of an ABS computer, any idea where this is located and whether it should be removed?

So after looking up the recall notice, I went over to the jeep dealer today, with pump in hand (I don't think they were quite expecting that) and said "hey, this POS is leaking brake fluid all over the inside of my engine compartment". And told them of the recall/warranty on the part. Everything was fine up to that point, and the counter guy went to order a new one for me. But aye, there's the rub; They can't get a new part for 6 weeks. WTF?! 6 Weeks?! The guy gave me the info for Chrysler's Customer service line, told me to call to them and make some noise about getting the part sooner. Oh, and I would need to put the car back together for the recall/warranty work. Apparently, they need to test it, to make sure it's leaking. I am going to head over to the junkyard tomorrow and see if I can find the bits to do the delete on it. Unless I get good news from chrysler on getting a replacement part.

I would delete that crap and also replace the old MC/booster with a 96XJ MC/booster. Its a easy swap. get the prop valve with it and the plumbing will be even easier.

Tell Chrysler to shuv that POS Bendix ABS up their colon and see if it will stop then. They should have recalled that crap years ago. There are many a XJ in Jeep heaven because of that system. Probably a lot of people hurt or dead because of it as well.

I also recommend that you notify your insurance carrier that you have deleted the ABS but that your model year came with it as an option so it isn't so much modifying the vehicle as it is taking an inoperable option off of it and replacing it with stock components. Just in case you get into a wreck and the question comes up.

So that others may live... Praise the junkyard jeep gods!

So I went over to the u-pick-u-save in pomona today, and found exactly what I was looking for, the same vehicle year, same model (1990 XJ Laredo) with the exact same options package (factory ABS), except this one had the ABS go bad already, and an ABS delete was performed on it.

The booster also looked to be the same one mentioned in the "extra power booster" article I posted earlier (was off a grand cherokee) and also had a very nice aluminum backer plate machined for it, so no spacers needed.

I don't know what the story is on this jeep, but someone poured a lot of love and time into it, it also had what looked to be the factory rock guards (which I grabbed, and will now install on my jeep). Oddly enough, the one next to it (a 1986 XJ) also had the factory recovery hooks, and was similarly equipped with the tank and suspension guards, but someone had already pilfered those parts. (I didn't take the recovery stuff, so it's still there for the taking, and possibly easier since I loosened it. You will need to bring torx wrenches to take off the mount).

I think I'm going to spend the remainder of the day recovering (I got waaaaay dehydrated, and probably a bit heat prostrated), I'll pull it out of the truck tomorrow, pressure wash it, take some pics.

Ok, so I am almost done removing the ABS system, so far I have removed the ABS pump, and ABS main cylinder/pressure control unit.

I have decided while I'm at it, I will also be removing any of the wiring that was originally part of the ABS system (it seems like there is a lot of it), I am chasing things around as I take apart the wiring loom, I think while I'm at it, I'm going to re-do the whole thing with this nice heat shrink tape I got and put the looms back together all nice and puurti. I've been taking pictures as I go, I will do a write-up once done. Wife got some compromising pictures of me crawling under the dashboard to remove bolts.

Back