• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help /ideas... I mangled my rear fenders....

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the story, had Napier flares, they were great, but I got 33s and wanted to stay at current lift so I took the flares off. The front I just cut more and that went well. The rears went wrong when I did the flares. I cut past the point of cut and fold. A side of effect of rushing and 100 degree Florida Summer heat.

So My over all thought is to bed line where the flares were, also add the bolts back in , both to fill the holes from flare screws, and to give a cool look.

So in the rear, do I cut the good side which i folded correctly to match the mangled side, or so I try and unfold the driver side, recreate the lip and then bondo it smooth?

Quick Photoshop of the desired result:
222115_4555603778447_1099692277_n.jpg

Here you can see the good side , and then the side I messed up. Also do to a fight with a tree. I guess I should cut an fold the lowers at the same time....

146340d1348760339t-help-ideas-i-mangled-my-rear-fenders-image-4078166665.jpg

146341d1348760342t-help-ideas-i-mangled-my-rear-fenders-image-3785855477.jpg

146342d1348760356t-help-ideas-i-mangled-my-rear-fenders-image-3460414301.jpg

@Tacedaddy, I do not want to run the flares any more I like the look of the tires sticking out, plus in the front I have cut past where they could attach and still go to the bottom of the rockers.

@whitexj98, I like what's going on there , so you actually cut the line you wanted with a grinder and then moved up the metal inner fender? Just having a hard time figuring all that's going on.

@ktm racer 419 , If I can sell my flares maybe I will but yours do not seem to cover the issue all the way as they stop early , I could be wrong but that's how it looks?

@Tacedaddy, I do not want to run the flares any more I like the look of the tires sticking out, plus in the front I have cut past where they could attach and still go to the bottom of the rockers.

@whitexj98, I like what's going on there , so you actually cut the line you wanted with a grinder and then moved up the metal inner fender? Just having a hard time figuring all that's going on.

@ktm racer 419 , If I can sell my flares maybe I will but yours do not seem to cover the issue all the way as they stop early , I could be wrong but that's how it looks?

mines a 2 door with 4 door quarter guards.

they will go all the way to your door

but you will need to seal up where you trimmed too far no matter what you end up doing. preferably with welding. the 1/4 guards will just cover up that dent nicely.

I did the ones in the above link, along with 5 others, and have gotten decent at it. To do it right and make it look good, it takes some work. That link should have enough pictures to get you through it. If you have some fab experience, it shouldnt be that difficult. If not, it probably wont be a good first project. I have some more pictures of others I have done if you need something specific.

~ Stump

What ever you do....... DO NOT USE EXPANDA FOAM. It holds moisture. Moisture is water, our XJ's are metal. Long term that equals rust and have to fix it all over again. Do it once and do it right.

Yall will all say ya or nah about what I say above but you all know it's the truth. Some will care some won't. Choice is untimitally yours. Me, I know how to do body work the right way and have tools to do it so I choose to do it right the first time. My DD does get more love then my rig though. Not as worried bout the rig..... lol

413218_4569590248100_757310857_o.jpg

Removed flares, Cut/folded the rear 1/4, bedlined the fender lips. On the mangled Rear I pulled back the fold, re created the lip and welded the cuts together, grinded and then hit with a little bit of bondo.

Back