• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country bushings

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Okay for all of you that have experienced premature failure of their leaf spring eye bushings.....do stock replacement bushings fit RC's springs?.....I'll probably go with 2 piece poly bushings for ease of replacement.

Not too worried about reduced flex or squeaks, just want to fix this.....easily.

Hans

I just installed a 4.5 x-series rough country lift and I'm experiencing the dreaded reverse shackle angle problem that others have had with their rear leaves. I had to wrestle with those suckers for a long time just to get the shackle bolted to the leaf spring and my shackle is bottomed out on the front of the shackle box even when the jeep is sitting on the ground. I have a 45 degree reverse shackle angle and it would probably be worse if the shackle could physically move further forward.

My question is, are the bushings in these leaves wearing prematurely because the leaves are too short... which results in a reverse shackle angle? There has to be ton of force pounding into the bushing when hitting a bump because the shackle has to rotate rearward AND downward.

Dear Rough Country: if you read this, can you please give me a smoking deal on a shackle relocation kit?

I just installed a 4.5 x-series rough country lift and I'm experiencing the dreaded reverse shackle angle problem that others have had with their rear leaves. I had to wrestle with those suckers for a long time just to get the shackle bolted to the leaf spring and my shackle is bottomed out on the front of the shackle box even when the jeep is sitting on the ground. I have a 45 degree reverse shackle angle and it would probably be worse if the shackle could physically move further forward.

My question is, are the bushings in these leaves wearing prematurely because the leaves are too short... which results in a reverse shackle angle? There has to be ton of force pounding into the bushing when hitting a bump because the shackle has to rotate rearward AND downward.

Dear Rough Country: if you read this, can you please give me a smoking deal on a shackle relocation kit?

I would actually go with Rough Country uses the cheapest possible bushings and ball joints. Along with a lack of thorough engineering done for each product.

Reference: Two ball joints that each failed in less than 20,000 miles. Track bar that had interference issues. Shocks that were too long with only 1" of upwards travel as part of a complete lift kit.

However, they are cheap and generally will back their product with good customer service.

Oatmeal, you could measure the bushings and order replacements by size.

I was in the middle of doing a shackle relocation bracket install (HD Off Road's) when I noticed that all of the bushings were totally trashed.....only been on there six months or so and only one real wheeling trip.

Just got off the phone with RC and they don't know if stock bushings will fit but, they did give me some dimensions: front-2 1/2" rear-1 3/4".

Can't warranty them because I bought them off of a fellow member. However, they were brand new and had never been installed (still had the tape on them).

And yes, the shackle angle was terrible...springs are too short.

Hans

Just got off the phone with Energy Suspension and confirmed that stock sized replacement bushings have same dimensions as my RC bushings.....we'll see how this works out.

Hans

Just got off the phone with Energy Suspension and confirmed that stock sized replacement bushings have same dimensions as my RC bushings.....we'll see how this works out.

Hans

That's good news. Please keep us posted... I might be doing the same thing in 6 months :( I contacted Rough Country to see what they have to say about this issue.

This is why I went and sourced a different set of rear springs when i did the RC 3" lift. I got it with AAL's and used them for a few weeks till I could afford a set of OME springs.

I then made the mistake of using Omix Ada bushings... and they lasted a wopping 600 miles. Went energy after that and couldnt be happier. They went in super easy, and since I greased the heck out of them, they are pretty quiet.

I would call RC back and ask to talk to Jason. He is on the forum here as well. He has always helped me out the best he is able.

That's good news. Please keep us posted... I might be doing the same thing in 6 months :( I contacted Rough Country to see what they have to say about this issue.
Just got done swapping out the bushings, they fit perfectly.

I was getting some banging out back before.....that was because, the bushings were so wasted that the front spring eyes were hitting the unibody!

On the subject of shackle relocators, do it!....unbelievable improvement in ride quality, like night and day!

Like I had mentioned, I bought the HD Offroad kit because, he had a special promotional deal when I got them...they're definitely quality stuff and worth the money.

Hans

Do you have a part number for the bushings you ordered?
Energy Suspension part # 2.2109
Bought them from 4Wheel Parts...they wanted $65! but, got a price quote from PORC for $49 and they price matched :D

How hard was it to get the old bushings out?
I used my ball joint press kit and my impact and they came out pretty easy however, a big c-clamp and some BIG sockets would work....the tight part was the metal sleeve but, the rubber was so wasted I could have easily split it with a cold chisel and a hammer!

Hans

Last edited:
Are your leafs from the 6.5 long arm kit?
You know, I'm not sure.

I bought them from a member who had them sitting in his garage....they were brand new.
He said they were replacements that RC sent him for the ones that started to sag (he had a long arm kit on his XJ) but, he decided to get Deavers instead......so maybe they are.

I have them on my '96 with RC shackles (on the first hole) and my Old Pro Comp coils with ACOS and drop brackets.....the rocker panels sit right above or even with the top of my rims (15" wheels)....does that sound about right?

Hans

EDIT: went back and checked, they're 4 1/2" leaves.

Last edited:
On the subject of shackle relocators, do it!....unbelievable improvement in ride quality, like night and day!

How much lift did the brackets add? Did you keep you're stock shackles or did you add longer ones? My concern is that the relocation brackets and new shackles will add 2+ inches of travel.. and then I'll need to add lift to the front to level things out.

Anyway, still talking with Rough Country. I'm willing to take my time and work with them on this. This is my only gripe with the kit so far, otherwise I'm very happy with the kit and it is otherwise a good value. Hopefully they can work with me to solve this.

My jeep has been on the ground for two weeks with few small drives around the neighbourhood. I've tried putting every heavy object in the trunk and jumping on the rear to see if it would level out... so far I can't get the shackles to budge. They are facing forward and the shackle bolt is "bottomed out" on the front of the shackle box.

20121002082952-8784290e-me.jpg

I have no idea how this can be solved without adding more than an inch of lift.

The only thing that comes to mind is different leaf springs or Liquid Iron's leaf spring sliders. But of course, I'd rather spend my money on other things rather than correcting something I just bought. We'll see, I'm not quite there yet.
image.php

Last edited:
I added the shackle relocation bracket and use longer shackles, you might get 1.50''.
I then added a 1.75" coil spacer and adjusted the long arms to center it.

All that on top of RC 6.5 long arm. I know it seems high,but my front and rear bumper weight it down, plus over time your lift will sag

How much lift did the brackets add? Did you keep you're stock shackles or did you add longer ones?........
I used the longer RC shackles on the first hole and depending on how much of an angle you mount your shackle at.....I maybe picked up an additional inch over what I had (I just added the relocators to what I already had).

Like I said before, it's like night and day!

Hans

Old thread but I thought I'd give an update. I contacted RC once again to try and resolve the shackle angle problem. I'm aware that I could buy relocation brackets etc, but frankly, I want to hold RC accountable and see how far I can push them to resolve their own problem first. Here is my latest chat:

[Mitch] Hello, how may I help you?
[Neil Grover] Hi, I installed the XJ x-series 4.5 lift last October. I wasn't happy with the shackle angle in the rear (see here: http://i4s.ca/photo/picture.php?/944/category/7 )

I had chatted with you guys a couple months back and was told you were working on a fix?
[Neil Grover] Any news on that? My shackle angle is still horrible ( pointing the wrong direction )
[Neil Grover] I was chatting with Jimmie. Just found some history. The chat was on October 2nd
[Neil Grover] "If he is willing to wait just keep his info until we have a solid fix"
[Neil Grover] Just wondering if there is a solid fix yet
[Mitch] sorry I was on the phone neil
[Neil Grover] np
[Mitch] let me get you to him
[Jimmie] Hello, how may I help you?
[Jimmie] what was this on
[Neil Grover] Jeep Cherokee XJ
[Neil Grover] 1997
[Neil Grover] I bought the X-Series 4.5 inch lift from Alberta Engine & Parts ( http://albertaengine.com/ )
[Jimmie] we are waiting on the new springs its going to be around 8-12 months out
[Neil Grover] Do you have the text I typed to Mitch? I was just describing my shackle angle dilema
[Jimmie] to fix the problem the shackle relocation kit would fix it
[Neil Grover] So my gripe boils down to this then: I paid for a kit that was advertised to work without any relocation kit. I put it in and the shackle angle is... very wrong. Now I have to pay for another one of your products to fix it?
[Jimmie] thats all I have at the time to fix it until I get the new springs in
[Neil Grover] Does that seem OK to you? No really? wouldn't you be a tad upset if you were in my shoes?
[Neil Grover] I'm not the only one complaining .. so is this how you guys deal with this engineering mishap with other customers? I'll bet they aren't happy either.
[Jimmie] what you will need to do is call in and speak to a manager thats all I can do
[Neil Grover] what about this guy: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...kle+relocation

He ordered his kit recently. I'm curious about this quote: "When I ordered my lift I was told the springs are now longer and softer"
[Neil Grover] are the springs that are shipping now longer and softer?
[Jimmie] they have not been changed yet
[Neil Grover] Can you please take this chat and forward it to your manager. I can't call right now and I want the history of this chat to be forwarded to him/her.
[Jimmie] I dont have a way to do that
[Neil Grover] What his his email?
[Neil Grover] typo. should have been "what is his email"
[Jimmie] *censored*@roughcountry.com
[Neil Grover] Ok thanks Jimmie. I guess you've done all you're going to do for me. I'll email him this dialogue and see where it gets me.
[Jimmie] No problem, have a great day!

I emailed the manager. I'll update this post if I hear back from him.

20121002082952-8784290e-me.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing decent about rough country was their customer service to support their horrible products. Now their customer service is on par with thier merchandise. I've had conversations with them that sounded very familiar to yours: lack of empathy, lack of support, lack of potential resolution, lack of commitment and follow up.

Rough country isn't even worth their cheap price at this point.

Forgot about this thread.

As an update, Rough Country didn't resolve my problem. It was painful dealing with them. You summarized their customer support very accurately.

When I was considering what lift kit to buy, I had read that Rough Country wasn't the best in terms of quality but they supposedly had exceptional customer support. So I bought it and thought I'd be in good hands.

In the end, I had to solve my shackle angle by buying some no-lift shackle relocation brackets and some used shackles.

Next time I'll shop somewhere else!

20131019205716-047b22af-me.jpg

Back