• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saxon Mtn/Lamartine

Squirrel

NAXJA Forum User
My friend Max and I went hiking on Mt Bierstadt yesterday, summited and had to retreat quickly due to weather. With nothing left to do for the afternoon we decided to go wheeling! We dropped off guanella pass into Georgetown, grabbed some needed supplies and started our way up Saxon mtn rd. I heard earlier in the season there was a blockage from a slide somewhere along the trail and wasnt sure if I would be able to pass it. After a couple attempts, it was fairly slick from the rain, we were able to cross it going up. I might add that I have open diffs, made it a little harder. All in all it was a fun day exploring the area.

Found a decent poser rock early on, this trail is full of good views.

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

The clouds from the passing weather made for some cool scenery

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

This was approaching the slide from below, upon arriving it was noticeable that work had been done to make it passable, but it was also wet. Running mall terrains, or most terrains?, and open differentials I had some issues but was finally able to clear it.

DSCN0230.jpg

Just above my rear hatch you can see a large boulder that protrudes out into the trail, care was taken not to contact it or fall off to the left, seemed like there was just enough room for the XJ to get through unscathed. Larger vehicles may have issues.

DSCN0231.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

Lamartine mine site had some great views late in the day once the clouds started to clear

DSCN0254.jpg

It was a fun trails system to explore and kill a few hours on our way back towards Denver. I descended Saxon rd years ago, it seems as its become a little rougher, though I also think it is funner to climb.

Nice pics! The weather sure changes the scenery up there.

BTW, you are nuckin' futz!

Back