• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring retainer clip bolt size?

JeepN4kc

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know the shank and thread count to the coil spring retainer clip bolt:
IMG609.jpg

I think I reemed it out some while tightening random stuff on the Jeep today (go figure - the XJ has random loose stuff ;) )
Anyway I don't have a thread gauge on hand but I do have a tap and die set. Just didn't wanna back the bolt all the way out if I don't have the right tap/die for it.
Thanks for any help.

If it's stripped out, running a tap through the hole won't restore the threads. Just drill and tap to something you have on hand.

Yeah it took a 13mm wrench so it must have been an 8mm - one of mine stripped out like butter - just step up a size and use a thread cutting bolt.

Yeah it took a 13mm wrench so it must have been an 8mm - one of mine stripped out like butter - just step up a size and use a thread cutting bolt.

Yep - 8Mx1.25

I got a bolt in there yesterday but I need to replace that one I think as it's the same size. Plus my coil isn't settled right as the end of the coil is only about 1/2" past the clip.

IMG626.jpg

Gonna reset the coil seat and put a larger thread cutting bolt to it in the next day or two.

Look at where the coil sits on the axle. Spin the coil till it hits the stop in that groove on the coil perch. You can not miss the spot its obvious when you look at it. That sounded rude(not ment that way), but easiest way to explain it. The groove just stops.

Look at where the coil sits on the axle. Spin the coil till it hits the stop in that groove on the coil perch. You can not miss the spot its obvious when you look at it. That sounded rude(not ment that way), but easiest way to explain it. The groove just stops.

Holy crap he's right! I did not catch that! Good eye man. :eek:

Yes rotate the end of the spring around clockwise until it hits the divit in the pocket/spring seat before you bolt it down.

No offense taken - I haven't gotten around to it yet but yeah that thing needs to be rotated.

This made me check out my coils and neither one is in the proper position! Does this have negative effects? I don't have a jack tall enough to allow me to indestructible the coils to.spin them :(

My passanger side clip bolt is about a 1/2 bolt now. Not sure i can get any bigger and have meat left on the clip. Guess its time to throw a nutsirt in it and call it a day.

X2 or 3 or whatever on that twisted coil being out of the spring seat. Mine does that about every other trip out. Thats when i know the bolt hole stripped again.

My passanger side clip bolt is about a 1/2 bolt now. Not sure i can get any bigger and have meat left on the clip. Guess its time to throw a nutsirt in it and call it a day.

X2 or 3 or whatever on that twisted coil being out of the spring seat. Mine does that about every other trip out. Thats when i know the bolt hole stripped again.

I wish we could get a nut in there under it and tack in - I can barely see back there with a flashlight - maybe a nut with a welding rod tacked on could be fished back there?

Uhh I meant to say unseat the coils...lol stupid autocorrect.

What's the time limit for editing a post?

LOL - my auto spell correct has done some really good ones that were hard to explain to the recipient! Not sure on Edit, short though, like 5-10 mins seems like.

I got the passenger coil reseated/rotated in a better position today. Also redid the retainer clip bolt. Drilled it out and retapped it for an M10x1.25 and put a new bolt to it.

IMG630.jpg

The bolt head is too big and hits the clip on the coil side so it doesn't seat the all the way down but it is tight.

Grind a flat spot on a few washers to space it up.

Back