• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE vs SYE

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I did a home brew hack and tap SYE on my '96 (same as GoJeep's and as sold by a couple of vendors ie: Iron Rock, Serious Off Road....) got the yoke from my DS guy for around $45 :D

Anyway, been running that for a little while but, came across a full shaft replacement SYE (Rugged Ridge) for a really good price....my question:

Right now I am using a stock auto front shaft and it fits perfectly....when going over to the Rugged Ridge version (looks the same as all the others out there) will a stock shaft still work or is the overall SYE length shorter requiring a custom length shaft?

Thanks for any light you could shed my way,

Hans

How much lift? 4-4.5" is about max for a 4.0/AW4 long shaft (30.6" collapsed is the longest made and there were some that came with 28" shafts) ... it will get you going if you have more lift, but you'll wipe out the slip shaft in short order due to less than desirable engagement length (the shaft splines are only 2" long and you'll be pushing the dust shield at 5" and barely attached at 6").

How much lift? 4-4.5" is about max for a 4.0/AW4 long shaft (30.6" collapsed is the longest made and there were some that came with 28" shafts) ... it will get you going if you have more lift, but you'll wipe out the slip shaft in short order due to less than desirable engagement length (the shaft splines are only 2" long and you'll be pushing the dust shield at 5" and barely attached at 6").
.........Right now I am using a stock auto front shaft and it fits perfectly....when going over to the Rugged Ridge version (looks the same as all the others out there) will a stock shaft still work or is the overall SYE length shorter requiring a custom length shaft?..........

Hans

I'm a little confused, was your question Hack 'n Tap vs SYE?

If so, and you are going to run more than 3" lift you'll need a xfer case drop or SYE; the two factors to consider: a drop can get you by as some mentioned, but that is still the shorter shaft on one u-joint. The HnT will let you run the double cardan joint shaft which cuts that short distance into 2 u joints. The actual SYE will replace the xfer case's rear housing with a shorter caster and mainshaft, making your driveshaft longer and lowering the u joint angles at both ends.

That's what I was advised when I built my rig and I was glad as the result is smooth and non-binding.

As a side note, I also purchased my Advanced Adaptors SYE from Rough Country. AA advised me they do not sell to Rough Country. They told me Rough Country sources their SYE through Tom Woods. I had a defective seal and got some run around over getting it swapped so I said heck with it and just bought it. If you ever want the lowdown call Tom Woods, he is the nicest guy and has forgotten more about this subject than most of us know.

he wants to know the difference in rear driveshaft length between a HnT SYE and a Rugged Ridge full SYE kit so that he can determine if he'll need a longer or shorter driveshaft or use the one he has.

he wants to know the difference in rear driveshaft length between a HnT SYE and a Rugged Ridge full SYE kit so that he can determine if he'll need a longer or shorter driveshaft or use the one he has.
Thank you, I thought I explained that pretty clearly.
I'm a little confused, was your question Hack 'n Tap vs SYE?

If so, and you are going to run more than 3" lift you'll need a xfer case drop or SYE; the two factors to consider: a drop can get you by as some mentioned, but that is still the shorter shaft on one u-joint. The HnT will let you run the double cardan joint shaft which cuts that short distance into 2 u joints. The actual SYE will replace the xfer case's rear housing with a shorter caster and mainshaft, making your driveshaft longer and lowering the u joint angles at both ends.
I am already running a yoke style hack and tap SYE just need the info that Vanimal clearified for me.....maybe I stutter ;)

Hans

Thank you, I thought I explained that pretty clearly.

I am already running a yoke style hack and tap SYE just need the info that Vanimal clearified for me.....maybe I stutter ;)

Hans
i thought it was pretty clear lol

it shouldnt take someone more than a minute or two to measure the length of their sye from some point on the case to the yoke. i'd do it for you but i have a HnT.

i thought it was pretty clear lol

it shouldnt take someone more than a minute or two to measure the length of their sye from some point on the case to the yoke. i'd do it for you but i have a HnT.
Just did some Googling and looks like my existing shaft will work.

Had a bit of a fright when I had the bolt that holds the yoke on come loose on my way to Utah....vibrated like holy hell!

Right now I'm trying to chase down a persistent vibration since then....driving me nuts!
Shimmed my rear end to get the pinion angle right but, I think I went too far (doh!)....funny thing is (well not really) vibrations are exactly the same.

Anyway bought the shaft style SYE because it was such a great price ($159 w/free shipping) and thinking maybe I might have damaged the output shaft bearing when the shaft was going crazy (I can feel some axial play) so.....

Hans

Back