• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RCV axle shafts with 30spline inner&outer?

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn´t able to find that on their homepage so I´m asking here:

I´m looking to upgrade my Dana 30 (it´s a HP from a TJ since my ´00 came with a LP) and I had the idea to use the RCV axles, an 30spline ARB locker, 30spline bearing units and therefore inner and outer 30spline RCV axles.

Anything wrong with that?
I found a kit with 30pline inner axles and 27spline outer axles but not 30/30.

They can custom make anything you wish, the cost though is not at all worth it in my mind or prolly 99% of the people out theres opinion.

As for the TJ ever having a HPD30, never. Must have been from a XJ since thats the only bolt in D30 in a high pinion, ever made. But the shafts dont matter one bit. Exactly the same axle shafts.

since rcv is supposed to have some awesome warranty, wouldnt it make more sense to run 27 spline to keep your tiny ring and pinion and locker alive?

IMO after wheeling a lot of dana 30's the 30 spline outers aren't really worth the coin....

never broken a stock shaft at the diff or the outer, ive seen a few broken but never personally toasted one.

yeah its weaker, but having the same unit bearing as EVERYONE else is advantageous, we needed one once and a passerby in a chevy cab truck had one in his toolbox. convenient

that being said RCV will pretty much make everything you might need, they are fantastic to deal with

that being said RCV will pretty much make everything you might need, they are fantastic to deal with
Yes and Not Even.

Yes they will make custom items.
Not even fantastic or even ok, to deal with. They will do what they want when they want and if they deal with your need this week or next month, is entirely up to them, and dont expect them to be accountable for it either.

They know what they have, and if you want it, you will play by their rules, or dont play at all.

since rcv is supposed to have some awesome warranty, wouldnt it make more sense to run 27 spline to keep your tiny ring and pinion and locker alive?

You'd rather break a shaft every 3 months than a ring and pinion every five years? It doesn't actually work that way anyways, but it may not be the best mindset to build in..

Using a smaller axle as a fuse is a foolish idea. If you're going to break a ring gear, you're going to break it - doesnt matter if you have 27 spline or 30 spline axles.

Love my RCV axles, . Breaking one axle U-joint was enough for me to pony up the extra $$ for RCVs. I am very staisfied . Ordered them from Robert at RWK and had them in a couple days. Already wheeled Fordyce Creek Trail two times and the axles performed flawlessly. Its not just that they are stronger but its how they do the work. There is zero bind at full lock with power applied . To my mind binding up is what causes axle and or ring and pinion breakage. None the less they look as bad ass as they perform ! ! I would highly recommend if you can afford. I won't debate the spline size ,to me its just about money and bragging rights. If 27s do the job than why spend more for essentialy no gain?

I've seen one break(38.5' on a 44 with a 4k RPM clutch dump, which is apparently a common thing for him to do). They were going to offer him overnight shipping but the closest place to pick it up on a Saturday was an hour and a half away from Harlan. He went ahead and had them send it to his house. I am going to upgrade to these eventually. All he did was call them and they said send us a pic. They looked at it and said where do you want it delivered.

Wow! I wheel alot more conservatavely,on 35s . I guees if you abuse stuff it will break no matter how strong or well designed . Everything has its breaking point. Good to know that they do stand by the product. Were did the axle fail? Was his tires bound u p when the dumped the ? What would you say the weakest link of thae axle assembly is. Was he running 27 splines like me and what gears/locker? Any damage to Ring and pinion?

Wow! I wheel alot more conservatavely,on 35s . I guees if you abuse stuff it will break no matter how strong or well designed . Everything has its breaking point. Good to know that they do stand by the product. Were did the axle fail? Was his tires bound u p when the dumped the ? What would you say the weakest link of thae axle assembly is. Was he running 27 splines like me and what gears/locker? Any damage to Ring and pinion?

It was in a d44 30 spline outer..... I've seen him bind up one tire so bad the other made a full revolution before the bound tire spun. They are without question the best aftermarket axle upgrade you can make to any axle hands down.

The rcv 30 shafts don't break..... We've tried....full throttle up killin time in Harlan, among other examples. The rest of the axle can't handle the ass it takes to break one. Don't drive it like a Koh buggy and it will stay in one piece.

The weakest link of the rcv assembly is the axle itself, imo the 4340 inners go way before cv components. The guys running 300m inners are breaking the shafts in the cv, but those are 800hp Aetna buggies.

This is not the first time they've stood by their product for us.....same guy had one that was perfectly fine but the cv was binding badly....they got another out to him ASAP and he went wheeling with us

They have made wheeling infinitely more fun for us, it's nice not to worry about a 760 joint ever and just go out and drive

My point , Trail fixes suck . swaping out axles in your drive way sucks ass but under a highlift jack in the dirt is so much more BS than I want to deal with when I am out to have a good time. The RCVS totally worth the expense if you have the dough . Just put off buying that badass winch bumper

Back when I was still wheeling a D30, my experience was that the r&p is stronger than one 27sp stub but not stronger than both stubs.
Meaning, one tire bound up, stub breaks, both tires bound up, r&p breaks.

Running 4340 shafts and Longfield 760 joints.

But, than being said, once a had Longfield cryo/heatreat my r&p it never broke again.

I don't think that the cost difference to have Rcv make a 30sp stub is really worth the $.

I have been running Rcv 44 shafts for a while, I had among the very first 44 shafts they sold and could not ask for a better company to deal with!

Back when I was still wheeling a D30, my experience was that the r&p is stronger than one 27sp stub but not stronger than both stubs.
Meaning, one tire bound up, stub breaks, both tires bound up, r&p breaks.

Running 4340 shafts and Longfield 760 joints.

But, than being said, once a had Longfield cryo/heatreat my r&p it never broke again.

I don't think that the cost difference to have Rcv make a 30sp stub is really worth the $.

I have been running Rcv 44 shafts for a while, I had among the very first 44 shafts they sold and could not ask for a better company to deal with!

And it was this guy who broke it! :D

They have made wheeling infinitely more fun for us, it's nice not to worry about a 760 joint ever and just go out and drive

When I first got into this wheeling thing. I figured i'll go up to 760's and I should be fine. Condering i've went through two really quick on 32's with an Aussie, I'll be doing this upgrade so I don't have to change shafts every year! Maybe I'll get a good profit sharing check this upcoming year and buy me some! :D

Working great for me on 27 spline with an ARB and 35's. I had them bound up pretty good at full steering lock a few times on my last trip, but got out of the situation with no issue.

I've had great experience with RCV personally. Your results may vary.

Back