• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How would I even treat this :(

willsmysticcobra

NAXJA Forum User
551721_10151157358375926_1054267130_n.jpg

This is breaking my heart. It clearly separated at the body seam.... thoughts?

Make a template, cut out the bad section. Use 1/4 rod to get the right shape near the flare mount.

wish I knew someone with a welder... I would pay to have this patched up .... I had no idea this was hiding under the flare

you know, i thought about that. Once i cut out all that rust cancer, i wouldn't even know where to start.... sheetmetal patch?

Yes, cutting to sound metal, and welding a patch in would be the best way to do it.
are there any community colleges near you? Taking an autobody or welding class would be well worth the nominal fee, you get to use their high $$$ equipment plus you ger a crusty old guy with a lifetime of experience to intruct/ advise

If you dont have a welder, you cant fix that properly. Simple as that.

I wouldnt recommend learning to weld on super thin, half rusted out sheet metal with a HF POS, that will only annoy the crap out of you... obviously you cut most of the rust out, but that's gonna taper off into areas you cant afford to remove. There will still be small pits and reduced thickness material, unless you cut back a foot.

Two words, reconstructive surgery.

Dont forget, doubled up or differant thickness sheetmetal will show up on black vehicles in the sun, due to varied rates of expansion/contraction.

The good news is, its only a jeep, AND half of that will be covered by the flair.

Dont forget, doubled up or differant thickness sheetmetal will show up on black vehicles in the sun, due to varied rates of expansion/contraction.

The good news is, its only a jeep, AND half of that will be covered by the flair.

Ya I mean I am really going for function over looks. I could really care less on how it looks post patch. I am just nervous because I am heading into another chicago salty winter and with it all opened up its going to go to hell fast :bawl:

I thought about heading into a few body shops and seeking advice and seeing if anyone would help me out with a $150 patch job.

dont think that'll happen for $150.
i learned to weld on rusted out sheetmetal back in CT, so it's not out of the question.

How much are you thinkin? Its a 2k jeep, if nobody will take the job for cheap ill just great stuff the hell out of the fender and rivet a sheetmetal patch over all the carnage lol

not sure. maybe your best bet is to find someone in a rust free area to cut that section out of a parts vehicle so you can tack weld it on. the sheetmetal and harbor freight welder will probably be less than the repair job if you were to pay for it, and then you have a handy little welder.

Regular ole great stuff is open cell, it will attract and hold moisture.... not exactly what your looking for.

If your talking to body shops, be up front with them, let em know you basically DGAF, but just want it covered and sealed... You might just run into somebody who will hustle that shit on the side.

Regular ole great stuff is open cell, it will attract and hold moisture.... not exactly what your looking for.

If your talking to body shops, be up front with them, let em know you basically DGAF, but just want it covered and sealed... You might just run into somebody who will hustle that shit on the side.

ya I knew the con of the great stuff :(

but the DGAF... ya thats the exact ploy I am going to try at a shop lol :greensmok

You should probably just buy a new Cherokee.

:D

Or you could listen to somebody else that's chimed in. I think a lot of good options have been layed out. Bodywork isn't very fun - but if it doesn't need to be flawless a DIY with a cheap welder (you can probably find a nicer one used for a decent price) and a HF angle grinder is totally doable. Plus you'll end up with a welder and an angle grinder - some of the best things you can have. To source the metal I'd either cut the piece out of another Cherokee or go to town with a hammer and some sheet metal.

I am very trusty with the angle grinder, but I have no real use for a welder because I live half my life downtown Chicago in optometry school. I think if the body shops turn me down and dont extend any viable options, it just comes down to simply sealing it up somehow to get through salty winter.

Back