• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 cherokee heating problem under a loadascending a hill @ 30-60 mph or a long pass

stopman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cherokee that tends to overheat ascending a pass or under a load, driving slow up a hill for long period of time.but normal driving or just wheelin as in rockcrawling does not over heat at all I have electric fans that seem to keep it cool could the problem be my torque converter
anyone have any ideas

stopman, I am currently experiencing the same condition in my 89. I am by no means an expert but I have heard that filling the closed radiator system can be tricky sometimes. I think i remember someone suggest getting the rear of the jeep higher than the front (put the back wheels on top of a curb or blocks) and try to fill. This is supposed to help the coolant pass air trapped inside the block some how and fill the system so it can opperat at the proper temperature. I am going to try this morning and will post the results.

Anything else to offer??

what is "overheating"? In the red, or just past 210? How heavy is your load? Is it stock? What size tires/gearing?
When is the last time you checked/changed/flushed coolant?
If you're hauling loads up grades, have you installed a tranny cooler?

What information have you already found by searching? Cherokess run hot, overheating issues are common, and there are plenty of discussions about it.

fallacist
i am running 35's with 4:56 gears aw4 while idling and wheeling on trails it stays at 160-185 but as soon as i drive under a load up a steep pass going 50-60mph or a steep logging road going 20-30mph it will creep up to 230-240ish, the tranny line just feed into the radiator i dont know if i need a separate tranny cooler etc. Could the tranny fluid be overheating due to the weight of trying to pull the tires up a hill

you aren't going to like this.

It's not going to go away, no matter how much money you sink into it.

I have a '95 on 35s and 4:56s with a reman engine and all brand new cooing system parts, a new condenser, trans cooler deleted from the rad, engine oil cooler, hood vents, and a myriad of different other tricks all to no avail. It runs hot on hot days and hill climbs.

I have tried different combinations of fans and fan clutches, Dirtbound's triple fan setup, 3 core radiator 2 cor and 1 core alum radiator. I have installed a heat sheild between the block and exhaust manifold, and changed the fuel system to a returnless system.

All to no avail.

Good luck.

So you run at 160 to 185? Does your Stat open and close? My 89 runs at 190 all day in the desert with 35's, but i have 488's.To get out of town it is uphill and during the summer it is always above 90 when we leave if not over 100.
I'm running a STOCK closed setup on mine.Serviced in a shop every 5 years, i know it is time to have it done again cause it is hitting 200/210(hot for me) now on the road running the AC out here.My Radiator shop also sent me a notice telling me it was time.
it's 7:37 and over 80 already today.

If you're hauling loads, even on a stock set up, I would put a tranny cooler in there, it wont hurt. I'd also consider a heavy duty ZJ fan clutch. Replace your t-stat. 165-180 seems a little low to me.

Flush your coolant system.

I would also suggest hood vents, although they won't do much for you at speed, they're still sexy, and they dramatically improved my temps out in Moab.

I think I have the same issue in my 96. While driving through a mountain pass with a moderately loaded flatbed trailer, as the engine would downshift into 2nd gear, I would see the coolant temp climb up and almost get into the red. Fortunately, it would level off enough that it never quite reached the red before it shifted back into 3rd.

I just bought this XJ a few weeks ago and have not had a chance to try and remedy the issue yet. It will be high up on my list of to-do's! (after I replace the shingles on my house)

When it overheats does turning the heater and fan on full blast lower the engine temp.?

To check the torque converter, at frwy speed 60mph tap the brake pedal while still on the gas and the RPM's should go up a few 100rpm's.

This checks the TCC for proper engagement or disengagement if you will.

fallacist
i am running 35's with 4:56 gears aw4 while idling and wheeling on trails it stays at 160-185 but as soon as i drive under a load up a steep pass going 50-60mph or a steep logging road going 20-30mph it will creep up to 230-240ish, the tranny line just feed into the radiator i dont know if i need a separate tranny cooler etc. Could the tranny fluid be overheating due to the weight of trying to pull the tires up a hill
What gear is the Jeep in, O.D., 3rd, 1-2? What RPMs is the engine running when said problem occurs?

Have you looked at your cat?

Next time you're climbing a hill and the temp needle starts moving, reach down and touch one of the passenger seat bolts. If its really hot, your cat is clogged.

I threw lots of money at the cooling system on my 94 and still had issues. Discovered that on a fluke. Jeep still was passing smog and otherwise ran fine. Replaced the cat and it probably ran too cold after that.

If you are running an AW4 and have the tranny fluid running through the radiator, manually shift your tranny into 3rd when ascending a hill to ensure the torque convertor is locked. It is also better to use an auxilary cooler instead of running the tranny fluid through the radiator.

Back