• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended bumpstops?

Not required, unless you dont like your fenders cutting your tires up/ tired bashing the fenders in.

Look into prothanes, they rock!

^. Well look at the screen name it came from.... J/K. lol. But it does work well if you have then laying around and they are really cheap.

And befor you ask the next question....... Go out and flex your jeep with out the shocks on if you want to get the right bump stop lengths. You will see what you really need for shock sizes compressed and extended that way too. Then do it again with the shocks on to make sure that with the right length bump stops your shocks are not limiting your flex(extended and compressed). As you will kill a shock real fast using it as a bump stop or limiting strap.... Ask me how I know, been through a few shocks now befor I fixed that situation and got the right length shocks.

Tire size = 33
Width = ?
BS = ?
Rim =?

4.5" lift and 33 with timed fenders. How much trim =?

Not much to go on...

Generally speaking, this is how I judge bumpstopage needed:

At static height, measure the distance between the lower spring perch and the bump stop (a).

Now measure distance from top of tire to the fender (b)

a<b By at least an inch, OK
b>a Take the difference and add an inch or so. This is what you need to add.
a=b Add an inch or so of bump stop.

Hockey pucks are cheap. You can either RTV them in place, or drill a hole in them an mount them directly to the lower plate (drill hole in plate). The bump stops which plug into the OEM area are not desirable, they tend to hang on the spring due to the arc of the suspension and interference of the spring. Not getto at all.

In general, flex up is not as beneficial as the amount of flex down.

Thanks magi and WB9, those were super insightful as I've never really fully grasped the concept of how all of the components can limit eachother. As soon as I get the new springs on, I'll verify what my shock length will need to be and then figure out bumps...

And Ghetto....

Hey take it easy on up poor a** mo fo's. LOL

I used 3 stacked hockey pucks, drilled and tapped the spring bucket. Works like a deam.. Of cource i don't go fast either.. No jeep speed here boys. I just go get groceries with it and take the less traved road to get there.:D

Hockey pucks are done all the time, you cant just keep adding to the upper bumpstop, you then add to the lower (hockey pucks).

Not ghetto, ghetto is not addressing bumpstops.

Back