• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear oil Capacity in Dana 30/44

Brandon77

Member# 3846
NAXJA Member
I have the Solid Axle diff covers for both the Dana 30 and Dana 44. Does anyone know the amount of fluid i should put in these axles? I was told 1.5 quarts for the Dana 30 and i read 2.5 quarts for the Dana 44. Is this correct? What worked for you?
Thank you, Brandon.

both should be about a bottle and a half, give or take. seems like the d44 might be a bit more, i dont think i can fill both of my 44's on 3 bottles.

it appears to be a mix of what gear, locker, cover you are running to say how much oil you should run. I have a solid diff cover on my D44 with 4.88s, ARB and I know not to fill to the fill plug, it likes to be about 1" below that fill plug with my finger reaching in. Unfortunately I don't know what that translates to in quarts, but 2.5qt sounds too high. I'd say a bit over 1.5-1.75. Front for me is a smidgen below 1.5

FSM shoes 2.5pints, 1.2liters, or 1.25quarts, according to google for the quart conversion. 3.0pints, 1.4liters or 1.5 us quarts for the "heavy duty axles"

Ok so i am using way to much. So the diff's fluid should always stay below the tube seals on both axles?

Don't forget that the pinion angle comes into play a bit to. You do not want to starve the pinion bearings either.. It's kinda an each XJ is a little different answer. As stated what is in the housing will effect it to.

Don't forget that the pinion angle comes into play a bit to. You do not want to starve the pinion bearings either.. It's kinda an each XJ is a little different answer. As stated what is in the housing will effect it to.
Starve? Meaning the pinion bearing needs oil?

when i do it i fill till it gets just below the plug hole
I was told you cant fill up to the plug whole on these diffs with these covers because the oil will be above the tube seals. The stock cover's fill plugs is much lower then the Solid Covers. I don't want to put to much fluid in them and blow the seals from to much pressure.

im sure it depends if the cover is also used on a high pinion d44. oil hole is higher on those covers.

Back