• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Consider getting your ham

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
License that is.
It's actually quite easy and you can get a great radio for a surprisingly low price.

I've got a little handheld that I've made direct contacts of 15 miles. Connect to a repeater and the range is HUGE. Or, go with a mobile (vehicle mounted) radio, mine has 10x the watts of my handheld, I've talked to somebody 80 miles away over a mountain range. From my driveway, I've talked, via repeaters, to people in Northern California.

The test is easy and the best part is, all the questions are public knowledge, available online or on easy to use smartphone apps, designed to help you study for the test.

Take a look at this post on ExPo about getting your ham and consider working on that over the winter.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/expedition-gear/accessories/1470-practical-ham.html

Yeah my Pa-inlaw has been giving chit about getting mine because he has a Mega power setup he talks on repeters over to Japan Russia and over to the east side of the Mountains I belive he runs like 180 + watts or something. Im heading that way thanks for the link.

I was getting exited, I thought you were talking about Christmas honey ham. Still great info Ryan, I really need something like this, my CB sucks, maybe every one should be getting one.

I was getting exited, I thought you were talking about Christmas honey ham. Still great info Ryan, I really need something like this, my CB sucks, maybe every one should be getting one.

Everyone definitely should.

Another fun thing you can do with certain repeaters is make phone calls. Get in trouble out in the boonies, dial up an autopatch repeater, call home and request a replacement part (or whatever you need) You can also usually find a ham monitoring a repeater who is happy to call for you.

I recently picked up "Ham Radio For Dummies".... my plan is to get my technicians license before X-mas.

I'm going to google this. I don't understand why one must posses a license to operate a radio? It's not like your going to shoot someone with it.

I've found a local (gresham) HAM club that once I get my license, i'll be joining.
Still reading on the "Ham Radio For Dummies" ...hard to get very far, had a lot on my plate lately.
Also been lookin around at some mobile units... Been studying on how to properly set one up, and what to look for.

My dad used to take me to all the repeater sights in northern California bay area , he fixed and upgraded then . It was cool exploring all those places as a kid .

If you have an Android phone, check out Ham Radio Study It's an awesome app that helps you study for the test. It literally has every question and you just practice. It'll give you every question until you've gotten it right several times.

I can't personally vouch for it but I'm told Amateur Radio Exam Prep is really good for iPhone users.

BTW I'll bring my ARRL Ham Radio License Manual tomorrow if somebody wants to borrow it.

Back