• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box trouble

zPike00EB

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, been awhile, but still rocking the XJ.

Last weekend I heard a pop while on some rocks, got out to find the steering box hanging lifelessly by the steering column and lines, all three bolts had snapped.

Spent the day drilling out the bolt shafts, but theres no where I could tap them, so I did a through bolt. Everything is bolted up nice and tight, and looks good.

As I'm reading here, People often reference a spacer for the steering box. Am I missing something? Starting to think it fell out and went missing in the woods.

Can I run without the spacer?? This XJ is now my street-legal trail rig, as I just purchased a 2012 4-Door JK.

Thank you

the steering box spacer goes between the box and the uniframe and lets the mounting holes of the box mount flush, without it, the side of the box will contact before the mounting holes can.

If the box has been on a long time, it is not too uncommon for the spacer to 'stick' to the frame. When you were mounting it back up, was it going up there flat against the frame? And did you need longer bolts to do through bolting? If the spacer was missing, a through bolt would barelt have to be any longer than stock, as the spacer is like a quarter inch thick.

Whaterver the case, you definitely need one right away. If it is tightened against the box, it is going to break if it has not already.

Whaterver the case, you definitely need one right away. If it is tightened against the box, it is going to break if it has not already.

I installed a large-cylinder steering box a few years ago using just the stock spacer. It pushed the steering box so hard against the frame that is slightly warped the box, causing a binding when turning left.
Added a new C-ROK spacer and a couple of washers under each bolt, to provide a slight amount of clearance between the box and frame, and all was good. Glad the box wasn't damaged.
Make sure you can slide a piece of paper between the box and frame, after torquing the bolts.

Back