• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 not working and making all kinds of noise.

DirtBound

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95xj 4x4, 4.0, stock transfer case and front and rear axles.
when i engaged the 4x4 last time i was out wheeling it made an obnoxious ratcheting noise and vibrations, front wheels didnt turn and i could feel everybit of the vibrations through the floor boards. this was the first time ive had to use the 4x4 since i got the jeep 8 months ago and im wondering if the previous owner regeared the rear with out regearing the front and everything is just binding up? or is the tcase comepletely shot? im unsure and just looking for some things to check. i dont want to get stranded next time im out wheeling. thanks.

Nate.

Open the differentials and verify the gear ratios.

Clean, lubricate, and adjust the 4x4 shifter mechanism.

I agree with Tim_MN you should definitely verify the gear ratios. Second I want to make sure that you weren't trying to put it in 4LO. 4HI is shift on the fly where you can engage it without having to come to a complete stop and mess with hubs or do anything with the transmission. 4LO however, you need to come to a complete stop, put the transmission in neutral, shift the transfercase in 4LO and then put the transmission back into a gear of your choice. Just wanted to make sure that was clear. If you don't then you can get the ratcheting noise like you described.

Also check your transfercase linkage hasn't come apart underneath and that it has been adjusted if there is a transfercase drop kit installed.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the tips. I'll check these things tomorrow. There is a transfer case drop on my jeep. So I guess that could have effed something up. I'll lube everything up tomorrow and see what I can do.

Sounds like it was either not engaging all the way (with a transfercase drop, this is not too uncommon if the installer did not adjust the linkage) or a slipping chain. They can stretch and end up too loose. If it ends up that, you'll have to open it up to see what needs to be done. Luckily, t-cases are pretty easy to come by.

ok, so i have adjust the linkage several times now and taken it out to some mud spots to test it out each time. everytime it has worked for a few circles around in the mudd and usually ends up doing the same things as stated up above, sometimes a ratcheting noise or sometimes a high pitched whinding/grinding noise which i assume is the chain? any more insight would be awesome. also when driving down the road in d or 3 i can hear the 4x4 selector catching or draging on the internals... any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks!

Nate.

... stock transfer case ....
231 (part-time) or 249 (full time) ??

...when driving down the road in D or 3...

So is the road gravel or slippery? If you have a 231 (part time) TC and you're driving it on a dry paved road, that's bad and WILL ruin the TC.

If the road is slippery, snowy etc. you're OK...with a 231.

If it's a 249, well, nevermind. Should be able to drive in 4x "full time".

If you are hearing a grinding noise, the T-Case is not proper engaged. The only chain noise you will hear, are rubbing on the case or popping, both signs of a loose chain.

What did you find when you inspected the gear ratios ?

if its the 231 then u mite have a streched chain, rounding gears, mode and or gear shift fork and pads have done bad alowing slippage.
streched chain
Photo0243.jpg

missing pads caused it not to ride right and on the selector

Lifted?

If so, the transfer case linkage may be pulling itself out of engagement.

231 (part-time) or 249 (full time) ??

So is the road gravel or slippery? If you have a 231 (part time) TC and you're driving it on a dry paved road, that's bad and WILL ruin the TC.

If the road is slippery, snowy etc. you're OK...with a 231.

If it's a 249, well, nevermind. Should be able to drive in 4x "full time".

its a 231 which is why i tested it in the mudd... maybe the previous owner tried 4x4 on the road and screwed things up... i dont know... lol. how hard is a 249 swap?

you can check gear ratios with jackstands and the transfer case in neutral

10-4, havent had time to do this, but im thinking its the selector and chain as stated above... i messed with the linkage a couple times and part time worked wonderfully for a few mins and then disengaged and all the noises came out again.

Lifted?

If so, the transfer case linkage may be pulling itself out of engagement.

4.5in lift, as stated above i have adjusted the linkage a few times and tested in mud and part time works great for a bit and then bursts into noise and vibrations again... thanks!

4.5in lift, as stated above i have adjusted the linkage a few times and tested in mud and part time works great for a bit and then bursts into noise and vibrations again... thanks!

Ok, try this:

1. Remove the linkage between the body and the transfer case.

2. Shift the transfer case into 4lo and drive it around in the dirt--see if it does or doesn't screw up.

3. If it does screw up, then likely you have issues in the case itself. If it doesn't screw up, then the linkage is pulling it out of gear and you will have to consider going to a body-independent linkage, either from AA or Novak. I am running the AA one and it completely ended my issues.

I messed with the linkage a couple times and part time worked wonderfully for a few mins and then disengaged and all the noises came out again.

Sounds like it's partially engaged...but not enough to STAY in with any kind of strain or torque.

Back