• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pop from front end

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this popping from the font end when turning for a while now. I have 3.5" coils with a 1.5" spacer, double shear track bar, longer lower arms and RC drop brackets. The popping was there before the track bar and brackets. When I first put the bar on it went away along with my death wobble. Now the popping is back and I can feel it in the floor under my feet. I also have the zj tie rod and drag link. Any idea what is causing this? I've tightened the bar and the pop is still tthere. Its almost like something is binding in the steering. Thanks for any help

Our XJ's all pop in the steering :greensmok

Things that could be popping:
-Steering box itself (tighten the three bolts, but not too much, as the threads on the box like to strip out)
-The spacer between your uniframe and steering box
-Your track bar bushings or mounts
-Where mine is popping - the "reinforcement plate" on the uniframe near the track bar mount has come partially un"glued" and pops as it moves slightly against the uniframe. If I pop some vice grips around the two pieces and squeeze them together, it stops.

-other stuff, but start with those things.

One of the best things you can do is, if it is consistent and it does it when stopped, have someone make it pop repeatedly as you feel around the front end. You should be able to feel the pop pretty well near the causing issue.

Oh, also....does it do it when you are stopped and steering? It should if it is an actual steering issue, as it is under more load then than when moving. If it only happens when moving, it may be something else. I was getting a weird noise when turning and moving slow, and it turned out to be brake pad chatter. I had heard chatter before, but this was very prominent and I could feel it in the floor boards. Way more intense than any chatter I had before.

Back