• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ steering box question

jwdl21600

NAXJA Forum User
New to this jeep thing. I have a little slop coming from the steering box shaft. You can watch it move back and forth with the steering rod as the wheel turns back and forth. Is that a common thing? Should I go get another steering box or not worry about it? Any info on this would be a big help. Thanks.

If You pull the axillary cooling fan out, under it is the steering box adjustment. You can try to adjust some of the slop out. Just don't tighten it so much that it restricts your efforts to steer the Jeep.

If You pull the axillary cooling fan out, under it is the steering box adjustment. You can try to adjust some of the slop out. Just don't tighten it so much that it restricts your efforts to steer the Jeep.
Adjusting the steering gear without pulling it and doing it on the bench and following the exact procedure can end up being fatal. As the box heats up, you can end up with a frozen steering gear while driving down the road.

If the boxe needs adjusting, most likely the main bearing on the pitman shaft is worn out. If your box isn't a renix era box, the rebuild kits do not include the bearing.

Adjusting the steering gear without pulling it and doing it on the bench and following the exact procedure can end up being fatal. As the box heats up, you can end up with a frozen steering gear while driving down the road.

If the boxe needs adjusting, most likely the main bearing on the pitman shaft is worn out. If your box isn't a renix era box, the rebuild kits do not include the bearing.

This^^^^^.

Replace it. But realize that if you buy a remanufactured one from a "big box" parts store (Napa, PB, Kragen, etc) that the sector shaft bearing won't necessarily be new. I had to go through two reman boxes to get one with acceptable lateral play.

Depending on your tire size and plans for the future, you might just want to buy a performance rebuilt steering box from PSC, AGR, or Lee Mfg. The internals, especially the sector shaft bearing, are upgraded and the box will perform better and be more durable.

Back