• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent splines

kr2590

NAXJA Forum User
Have a ten factory shaft in my Dana 44 with ever so slightly bent splines. It is noticeable when looking at closely. The section of splines that sits in the Aussie locker are still straight. Just a little bent right outside part that goes in locker. How big of a problem is this?

Once the splines are bent, that means the steel has been stressed beyond it's elasticity, and the shaft will be likely to break at the bent part. It may not break right away, but it will at some point fail. It is time to get that shaft replaced. Keep it as a trail spare.

With such a small amount of plastic deformation you would think it actually work hardened the shaft now that I think about it. Anyone have this issue before and kept running them with no issues? I am running 33s by the way. I wasn't the one that put the bend in the spline. A pair of 35s did that.

Both of the splines on my rear 44 are ever so slightly tweaked as well. Im on 35s, spooled, and 5 speed, im not too concerned with it.

Sure, you can wheel on slightly bent splines for a long time. I've done it, too, but the shafts are no longer as strong as they were. It has been my experience that axle shafts don't break right when you stress them. They break somewhere else on something silly that should never have done any damage.

Going to determine that tomorrow morning. They are Ten factory anyone have any experience with them?

Going to call them today. Good to hear they are known for customer service. I will let you all know what happens.

Back