• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

considering pulling the head off before she blows!

Bbasso

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been watching a leak on the outside of the motor and it's getting worse... Here's a picture:
2dw6br8.jpg

It's coming from the head gasket
Luckily the motor oil and antifreeze are in good shape so I'm not worried about the internals... yet and she's running great. I'll like to nip this in the butt before it becomes a serious problem.

Aside from the obvious needed items, like gaskets and such.
What else should I consider replacing while I'm in this deep?
I know I need an exhaust manifold- it's got the usual cracks. Suggestions on which?
My cooling system is nearly all new- I'll happily reuse.
Any way to better the intake manifold?
ARP bolts? maybe a kit of sorts?
with the head off, can I get to the lifters? (some of then tick) If I change them will it cause another problem like faster wearing on the cam or other related parts because they will be new/stiffer?
Should I have the head checked while off for cracks or damage and get it cleaned- performance (3 angle) valve job too?
I'm not looking to rebuild the motor, just do what's needed and maybe do some preventative maintenance while in this deep. Keeping the costs down is important.

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

before you rush off and do the head gasket. double check your thermostat gasket. i have run across a couple of 4.0,s in a WJ and Tj that the thermostat gaskets are leaking and the coolant is running down the parting line of the head gastket on the right side. side you show in the picture. it sure did look like a head gasdket on both of those at first.

Are you sure that's coolant leaking and not oil?

Cuz most older 4.0 will leak(seep) engine oil at that area. Consenses is that it's not a big deal if it's only oil.

Do you lose much anti-freeze in the overflow bottle with this leak?

I check the oil each day along with the antifreeze and there is no loss of either... I'm puzzled.

I've searched around for oil leaks in that area and haven't come across any pictures that look like mine..

How should I check to verify if it's oil or antifreeze? test kit or some oil fashion method?

Are you sure that's coolant leaking and not oil?

Cuz most older 4.0 will leak(seep) engine oil at that area. Consenses is that it's not a big deal if it's only oil.

Do you lose much anti-freeze in the overflow bottle with this leak?

X3. Mine has leaked there just like that for years. It's not a problem.

mine leaks from so many places that the entire block and head are generally coated in oil. I know its the oil pan and valve cover.

I am also suspecting the RMS.

I you're not consuming oil nor coolant and neither are mixing, then why do it? It's normal for the earlier 4.0's to weep a little bit. I have a 96 with 209k on it am it doesn't leak anywhere but it has moisture around where yours and on the upper portion of the bell housing. It's no big deal. If your fluids are in order and it's running great then why mess with it?

Like said all ready, get a can of brake cleaner and a bottle of dye. Clean the area as best as you can. add dye. drive for a week. take Jeep to a shop that has a UV light and see if its oil. They shouldn't charge you for this. I don't. If no dye shows up. repeat process with the antifreeze.

Back