• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing an Atlas 2 speed into an AX-15 XJ

muduck18

NAXJA Forum User
I started this process a couple years ago when I first got the Atlas, and almost immediately found out that it was much larger process than I was ready for at the time. but one thing that I found out in that amount of time is that the amount of Technical directions and installation information for a ATLAS to ax-15 XJ installation is very limited. I'm sure most of that is because of rarity of the manual trans in the XJ.
but what ever the reason, If some one else spends days Googling it. I hope they come up with this thread and some answers to go on.

Lets start with the atlas itself. I found a 2 speed used for a really good deal. and jumped on it, no knowing what I was getting into really, but I desperately wanted lower low range.

IMAG1192.jpg

So the unique part of this is not the atlas though, it's the Jeep that it's being installed into. Advanced adapters does not have a kit for sale on their website for the installation. And all installation documentation for the Atlas into an XJ is for an AW4 automagic transmission. Which requires an adapter, and spacer and weep hole being plugged.

Not so much for the AX-15. as you can see above it bolts in tight, no spacer, and it properly contacts the seals for the transmission so the weep hole can remain open.

However, The mounting is a different story.
I like to have my rig look and function as close to stock as I can with some added off road prowess. So this is not a buggy, or a full cage, or an engine swap to a v8.. So the next thing I had to do was put the cross member back..

Stock one wouldn't work because of the way it's configured it hits the t-case that now sits closer to the transmission.

These are not the best pictures but I hope you can get the idea.
IMAG1207.jpg

IMAG1206.jpg

IMAG1202.jpg

IMAG1201.jpg

So what I did was went out and got a TJ transmission mount. which then puts the cross member directly below the transmission.
Then to support the exhaust properly I cut the bracket that the old trans mount used to reside on, and put it up in its previous location.

Hopefully you can follow these pictures.

IMAG1208.jpg

IMAG1279.jpg

IMAG1280.jpg

IMAG1282.jpg

IMAG1284.jpg

IMAG1286.jpg

IMAG1288.jpg

So, next up I needed to address the Cross member, Now that I've modified the trans mount the cross member moved forward by 5 or 6 inches. coincidentally this move forward almost perfectly matches the holes for the stock cross member mounting location for the 4cyl xj. The holes are drilled in the frame, but not tapped or clean. so I tapped the holes of the forward mount location of the cross member.

So at first I toyed with the idea of using a factory cross member.
and with some drilling and hammering I could have, but I came to the conclusion that I did not want to come down on the cross member or skid and have it buclkle which I've had happen before.
So I made one. I won't get into details about this, but You can see form the pictures it's not that hard, and all I did was measure from the trans tunnel left right and top to make sure that the transmission was in the factory location (maybe 1/4" higher than factory)

IMAG1213.jpg

IMAG1214.jpg

IMAG1217.jpg

IMAG1218.jpg

IMAG1219.jpg

IMAG1227.jpg

IMAG1228.jpg

IMAG1230.jpg

Shifter Installations.

I started out with the Shifter from a basic yj Kit and I think it was just even a generic kit from AA.
I took the main shift shaft out, removed the tube, and cut it down to give it enough clearance for the all-thread, Jamb nut, and the two outer nuts.

Assembly is tight, and hard to get lined up right, The help of an extra set of hands to hold your levers for you is going to be very useful at this point. Play with the angle of the shift base to get all the levers and linkage moving freely before you tighten the base up, Failure to do that will make it bind when trying to get it in and out of gear.

I was able to mock it up and find almost the exact size hole that is needed for the install, this is basically the same as the Automatic installation (as seen on AA's website and instructions) the difference is that I did not build a box around the base, I simply used some rubber matting to act as a first line of defense and added the boot to the top of it.
I may have to re-visit this later, but for now Its holding up. and keeps the road noise and debris out of the cab.

as you can see from the pictures I did have to bend the lever for the front axle selection, this allowed me to bring it inside the plastic center console and make room for the drivers seat to move all the way forward. My wife is very small and for her to be able to drive this she has to sit at the seat's front most setting.
A simple two spot bend to bring the center of the lever over close to the other lever, and back out for easy grip is all that was needed.

IMAG1301.jpg

IMAG1302.jpg

IMAG1303.jpg

IMAG1304.jpg

IMAG1305.jpg

IMAG1306.jpg

IMAG1307.jpg

IMAG1308.jpg

IMAG1309.jpg

IMAG1310.jpg

IMAG1312.jpg

IMAG1311.jpg

IMAG1313.jpg

Lastly I just had to cut that little piece of plastic off the center console mounting spot.
IMAG1325.jpg

IMAG1328.jpg

IMAG1327.jpg

IMAG1326.jpg

Attach the rubber boot, replace the carpet, and the interior is done.

I measured up and ordered Tom Wood's drive shafts.
Nothing crazy here, Tom wood's shafts are amazing. and the install is just like any other drive shaft.
IMAG1336.jpg

After that Its all fun and games.
I'll be building a skid plate for it soon, I may update the thread when that's installed. but That's not really Atlas related.

Feel free to contact me if you ever attempt to take this on and have any questions.

Back