• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Leak

nbmedic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a 99 xj with a 3" lift and 31's. I seem to have a leak coming from the firewall on the drivers side. I have checked the gromets and poured water to try to find out where its getting in. Looks to be coming around the brake pedal bracket somewhere... Anyone else had the same problem or know what I might else I might check out, any help is appreciated.

I had a persistent annoying leak in the driver's side footwell area that I could not locate until I had a friend spray the windshield, fresh air intake grill and firewall, while I, with the carpet and insulation pulled back and a good light source watched. My leak turned out to be the lower edge of the windshield.

Late model Heeps are also known for the gasket that seals the HVAC box to the firewall and cowl to leak as well. In order to change the gasket, the HVAC has to be removed from under the dash.

Not fun...

pull the carpet up.

give the firewall a light dusting of baby powder.

spray it all down and watch where the tracks are made by the water in the powder.

find leak.

Also in the cowl where the wiper motor is, the body seams and various plugs tend to leak after a while.

I found my leak by flooding the cowl only to narrow the search down and when pointing down hill I saw the leak above the ECU dripping.

I found my leak by flooding the cowl only to narrow the search down and when pointing down hill I saw the leak above the ECU dripping.
His PCM is on the front fender.

Have someone hose down the fire wall and windshield while you look for leaks under the dash. I've had the HVAC to cowl gasket leak on my 2000 as well as the boot around the steering column.

Back