• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zone Offroad 3" lift install

drsaabaru

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install a Zone Offroad 3" lift kit on my XJ, and I can't manage to get the leaf springs attached to shackles. There's an extra piece of metal that wraps partway around the eye, like so:

7984307580_76f46d06f3_o.jpg

It hangs up on the shackle and I just can't get it bolted up. Is there a trick to this? Do I need to trim the shackle? Or do I just need to get a bigger crowbar and shove it on there? I haven't seen springs like this before, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

-- Rob

Most 3" lift kits dont include shackles, including the 3" lift kits on zone's website...

Worst case scenario, cut that sucker off with a grinder wheel. Leave it semi long, but do not nick the eye. Much better option than cutting the stock shackle.

Yep, I'm using the stock shackles. Here's the kit:

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=436&gr=-1

Nothing in there about needing to replace the shackles, but then the springs in the picture don't look like what I've got out in my driveway either.

I'll give the Zone guys a call tomorrow and see what they've got to say, and if that doesn't get it sorted out then I'll just trim the spring -- I'll probably only need to cut off a half inch or so to get it to fit.

Thanks!

Ok, not sure what the problem is here ... that's called a partial military wrap. Your shackle should install towards the inside of the spring and should come nowhere near the outside wrap part of the spring.
Now, if you have vertical shackle angle due to the lift, then I see where that would cause an issue with the crap stock shackles.
Do you have a picture with the shackle to better illustrate the problem?

Here's one view of it:

7984549152_1529938e78_o.jpg

I've tried lots of prying and hammering and jacking to get different angles and I can get it close, but it just won't quite bolt up.

looks like you have your springs backwards! big eye gos forward!

if thats the small end i want a set of them springs! looks like you need new shackles!

Back