• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Bags spring/shock combo?

johnson989

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched quite a bit on this but I think this is a unique situation. On my 2001 xj I have bilstein HD shocks, stock worn out negative arch leafs, and air bags in the rear. I installed the bags because I pull several boats and trailers. They work very well when under heavy load, but since I have dead springs I have to keep more psi in the bags than suggested when not under load. This makes it ride horrible so I need to upgrade my springs of course. I would like to use the OME springs for their quality/price compared to something like the Crown springs.
Can I get away with using these OME springs with the Bilsteins? The bilsteins say they are good for 1" of lift and the OME springs are suppose to give around 2". I figured if i got the light duty springs and used BPE's I could get away with it. I do go off road quite a bit, but nothing real serious. I would appreciate any thoughts or alternate setups. I don't want more than 2" of lift.

With the slight difference I don't think you'll have an issue with shock travel. You're losing one inch of up travel and gaining one inch of down travel. Your bump stops are setup correctly you won't have an issue.

Back