• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air box mod - experiences?

YoureASissy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of relocating my IAT sensor and modifying the box. I've seen several variations of how to do it, has anyone done it? If so, what style have you done and how much did it improve things?

take the silencer out of your air intake tube, take the bug guard off of the opening for the air box behind the driver headlight, you can also put holes in your air box, i would suggest the side by the fender to keep debris out.
i have not done the IAT relocation though

One issue with those is that the stock airbox is essentially upside down compared to a quad ... but I like the idea.

I'm more curious about what the long term effects of the IAT relocation were, any bad>?

I'm more curious about what the long term effects of the IAT relocation were, any bad>?

Moving the IAT off the intake manifold into the cooler air box causes the computer to run the engine richer. Might seem to run stronger but it's burning more fuel than when the IAT is where the Factory engineers intended it to be.
Interested in less mileage?

Moving the IAT off the intake manifold into the cooler air box causes the computer to run the engine richer. Might seem to run stronger but it's burning more fuel than when the IAT is where the Factory engineers intended it to be.
Interested in less mileage?

That's not really true. It gets a truer reading from the airbox and other sensors are involved like O2 to keep things in check. The IAT also affects ignition timing and you get a little more if the intake charge shows cooler.

I've done before and after fuel mileage checks on 2 of my Jeeps and there was no variation whether the IAT was mounted in the airbox or intake manifold.

That's not really true. It gets a truer reading from the airbox and other sensors are involved like O2 to keep things in check. The IAT also affects ignition timing and you get a little more if the intake charge shows cooler.
I've done before and after fuel mileage checks on 2 of my Jeeps and there was no variation whether the IAT was mounted in the airbox or intake manifold.

Well, I guess the Jeep engineers didn't have a clue.
I have had better luck actually decreasing the intake temperature by insulating the bottom of the intake manifold, running a cowl intake and then leaving the IAT where Jeep placed it so the computer sees the actually operating conditions
I monitor the temps with two temperature probes (ambient and the intake box) and use a Scan Gauge to read the IAT. With the instrumentation, I see a nice drop in the intake temp in all operating conditions. At freeway cruise, it's 25-30 degrees lower.
Cooler, denser air WILL produce more power.

Last edited:
Back