• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving to WA.

paragrunt

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. My family & I are getting ready to move to WA. State soon. I want to be legal prior to our arrival though. I have a 00 XJ Sport with a 3" BDS Lift, 31x10.50x15 Duratracs on Pro-Comp Steelies that are 15x8 with 3.75" of BS. I don't stick out too far. I just got the new wheels put on as I wanted to get rid of the spacers. I guess I'm gonna have to trim a bit at full lock.

I have heard that you can't stick out at all past the fender-well's. I have also heard I might need mud flaps. Would one be able to get away with rear flaps only?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Where are you moving from? USA if pretty vague. In the great state of Washington you are correct tire coverage is a must. I've heard they are pretty strict about it, I live in Oregon, but Washington is just over the river for us.

They're more strict about fenders than they are mud flaps, and in either case its usually the state troopers that will do the enforcing, not the local police.

Sorry, moving from MI. I don't stick out very much. As I put the details in the above post. I am hoping that it won't be that big of a deal. Troopers are for the most part Highway Nazi's in every state.........

As someone who actually lives in Washington, has been pulled over for flaps and or flares, received a ticket for flaps, and is the the current NWC President, I'll give you the following advice; make an effort.

What I mean by that is, just have some sort of fender flares and some mud flaps in the back. You probably don't need to be 100% compliant, you just need to show that you've made an effort and your far better off.

The actual RCWs:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.500

Welcome to the NWC! Where are you moving to?

I've been pulled over in washington for No flaps.. I never thought i needed them since i have Bushwackers, But Washington AND idaho have both told me otherwise.

Oregon, They just waive.

I lived in Wa for a number of years and never had any issues... prob luck of the draw. I HAVE had friends that got hassled for flares, but never flaps, again, prob just luck of the draw, maybe laws were different back then, i dunno.
Darren has some good advice, at least a moderate effort (prob just on the flaps) would suffice. By the sound of it, they prob wouldn't pick you out for an inch or two of tire protrusion.

As someone who actually lives in Washington, has been pulled over for flaps and or flares, received a ticket for flaps, and is the the current NWC President, I'll give you the following advice; make an effort.

What I mean by that is, just have some sort of fender flares and some mud flaps in the back. You probably don't need to be 100% compliant, you just need to show that you've made an effort and your far better off.

The actual RCWs:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.500

Welcome to the NWC! Where are you moving to?

Thanks everyone for the advice. It had the cheesy factory type aftermarket mud flaps on it when we bought it. I took em off for obvious reasons as we don't need them here in MI. Were moving to the greater Seattle area. I'm not sure just yet of the exact city as were still determining that. We have to look at who has the better public schools for our children first. Were hoping to be in the Seattle area in the next 6-8 weeks.

Out of curiosity, did you guys only get mud flaps in the rear or all four all the way around?

You'll love WA, not sure I would want to live on that side of the mountains. When you're driven up 90/94 through WI, wave as you go by. If it wasn't for work I'd be back in WA in a heartbeat. As said try to keep your tires mostly covered, and flaps in the back. with 31's you'll have less issues than 33's or 35's, the cops see lift and they start lookin for stuff. IMHO, but often I'm told I know nothing.:laugh3:

Hope you like rain and not seeing the sun for nine months at a time. I heard on a radio show once that the pnw had the highest suicide rate due two weather related depression. Huh? that maybe my problem.

Hope you like rain and not seeing the sun for nine months at a time. I heard on a radio show once that the pnw had the highest suicide rate due two weather related depression. Huh? that maybe my problem.

I have some razor blades Dave... :eyes:

The single sided razor blades, they work great for cleaning off gaskets, or slitting your wrists. If they get slippery just put them in a box cutter. You know your suppose to cut up not across right? JK everyone.

I lived in Alaska for 4 years and dealt with the darkness just fine. I'm currently in Michigan, which is the economically depressed state in the U.S. People are leaving this state like rats off of a sinking ship.

Should I only get rear mud flaps then? Would that suffice? I'm only 3" up on 31's. Front ones would have to be trimmed, etc........

Should I only get rear mud flaps then? Would that suffice? I'm only 3" up on 31's. Front ones would have to be trimmed, etc........

I would do rear flaps. If you don't stick out past your flares to much don't worry about it. If for some reason you do (but it doesn't sound like it biased on your build sheet) i would put some sort of after market flare on and call it good. Good luck and welcome to Washington.

I`ve never had a problem with being stopped . I ran 31 x 10 .5 and now 32x 11.5 with 3.5 lift and 3.75 back spacing and stock flairs. Welcome to wa.

I would do nothing till told too. Never heard of anyone not getting a warning first. If you go by the letter of the law your cherokee probably doesn't meet the lift laws either. In my area it depends alot on what roads you travel whether you will be hasseled.

Back