• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tune up question

Brandon77

Member# 3846
NAXJA Member
Does a cap, rotor, plugs, and wires fit all year XJ? I have an 89 XJ and want to know if a 96 tune up kit will work for my renix engine?
Thanks, Brandon

Sorry i dont have numbers to be sure, but there are slightly differant configurations. My 1998 4.0's rotor is differant than my renix's, where it fits into the distributor. The cap seems to be interchangeable.... been running a renix cap on my 98 for 6 months.

No. There are differences. I discovered that my 94 XJ actually had a 93 distributor in it, at least the rotor is different, don't remember about the cap itself.

Rotor is different, I think the caps and wires are the same across all years except 00-01.

cam position sensor is different (renix, early to mid 90s, late 90s, 00-01) as well.

I'd check rockauto parts catalog for year crossovers on the rotor, but I'm reasonably certain 96 vs 89 will not fit.

Thanks guys... big help. I will update this when i try to install everything... we will see what happen.s

Back