• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery has power, but when I turn the key nothing happens...

captain_k

NAXJA Forum User
2000 stock 4.0L 4wd automatic

Suddenly won't start, it wasn't showing any signs of low power or anything. With the key in the ignition, the power locks work, the radio works, the door chime works.... but when I attempt to start it NOTHING happens, no clicks or anything. It won't take a jump either.

I did a quick fuse check. The colored plastic fuses are fine, but how do I know if the starter relay is good or not? (the black plastic cube labeled starter in the main fuse box) Should I try replacing that first, what else should I do?

Thanks as always.

EDIT: seems to have lost battery power now, I'll try replacing the battery. But shouldn't a jump still work even on a totally dead battery??

Last edited:
You forgot to mention what transmission. If it is an automatic, most likely your neutral safety switch is bad. Will it crank in neutral?

Do a search on cleaning the NSS. That is normally all that is required.

If you do a search, you should find that there is a pin on the relay by the battery that is driven by the NSS, and you can short it to bypass the switch.

Another test of the NSS is to look at your back up lights and see if they work.

You forgot to mention what transmission. If it is an automatic, most likely your neutral safety switch is bad. Will it crank in neutral?

Do a search on cleaning the NSS. That is normally all that is required.

If you do a search, you should find that there is a pin on the relay by the battery that is driven by the NSS, and you can short it to bypass the switch.

Another test of the NSS is to look at your back up lights and see if they work.

It's an auto. Doesn't crank in neutral. I edited my post - battery power seems to be totally dead now, power accessories don't work. New battery time?

Check for corroded wires and terminals while you are at it.

It's an auto. Doesn't crank in neutral. I edited my post - battery power seems to be totally dead now, power accessories don't work. New battery time?

Well, the battery is test-able. If it's turning on your lights and accessories you should at least get a "click". How are the connections to the batt? If you're jumping it on the connectors and the connection is bad, it'll still be a bad connection.

If the battery is reading close to (as in above) 12v just sitting then I'd be looking at either bad, loose, crusty connections OR your NSS.

Bad NSS will give you zilch when you turn the key. Usually you can futz with it at the shifter and get some action (do you have back-up lights?).

Most of the time a bad connection at the + batt or the ground on the engine will at least give you a click, but a dirty spot on the NSS arm will give you nothin'.

Back