• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do NOT run v8 ZJ draglink in an XJ

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
I've been scrambling to track down a hard to find wobble at 60mph before my trip to Moab (from Maine) on Saturday. Everything was tight, but the steeringwheel would shake slightly and the my coffee would slosh around in the cup at interstate speeds. I spent hours under the jeep with a pry-bar and a jack trying to make anything move. I finally gave up and decided to hide the problem with a new steering stabilizer. The axle-side bolt was a little beat-up so I went back to napa with no stabilizer to get a new one. The jeep did not wobble!

I put the new steering stabilizer on with the new bolt and I had to force it to line up with the drag link side. The stabilizer wanted to be about 2" above the drag link. With the new stabilizer in place, my wobble was back. A little research showed that the ZJ drag link had a different stabilizer angle, but about half of the writeups out there recommend using the ZJ part. There is no reason to do that. It is no stronger than the XJ one and it may cause problems.

Now to find a use for this extra ZJ drag link... :doh:

I ran the ZJ steering setup for years with no wobble, and no stabilizer. the advantage to the ZJ setup is the tie rod not the drag link. If i recal correctly you only need the tie rod not the whole setup. the ZJ tie rod is solid instead of the crappy hollow XJ one.

I ran the ZJ steering setup for years with no wobble, and no stabilizer. the advantage to the ZJ setup is the tie rod not the drag link. If i recal correctly you only need the tie rod not the whole setup. the ZJ tie rod is solid instead of the crappy hollow XJ one.

x2:party:

Its been said already I guess...but yea tie rod only here as well and all fine with no vibes. The old XJ one got bent so it was a decent upgrade at the time.

IIRC it's the same Part number for ZJ/XJ right side Tie rod end (aka.. drag link)

FWIW

Stock steering is crap anyway. Currie is the best for a Jeep with 4.5" or less lift. Run the tie rod OTK and you've got high clearance, high strength steering with stock handling.

mmmmmmmm, pretzles:

393464_390783777642711_78199923_n.jpg

FWIW, i bent my stock drag link and broke my stock tie rod in 2 after i bent my ZJ tie rod, the following day. its deffinantly an upgrade, but not bullet proof. i feel the bends in the ZJ drag link weaken it, though its still stronger than stock.

Ummmmmmm, no issues with mine.

I put the XJ drag link on tonight. It got rid of the wobble and it was obvious that it would before I even started the Jeep. When I had the ZJ draglink installed, kicking the inside of the tire caused the area where the tierod connected to the draglink to move quite a bit. With the XJ part installed, it looks much better. I should have made a video.

For those who prefer 1-ton steering, it probably makes sense for you, but ZJ steering makes sense for me. I bent 1 stock XJ tierod on my 91 XJ and I beat on that Jeep quite a bit. My current XJ is more of an adventure/expedition rig. If I do happen to bend the ZJ tie rod far from home, any parts store will have a replacement.

I didn't expect such a lively thread. About half of the ZJ steering writeups include the ZJ draglink and I wanted to clarify that the XJ draglink should be used. I also wanted to make sure this thread would come up in a search for ZJ steering.

I put the XJ drag link on tonight. It got rid of the wobble and it was obvious that it would before I even started the Jeep. When I had the ZJ draglink installed, kicking the inside of the tire caused the area where the tierod connected to the draglink to move quite a bit. With the XJ part installed, it looks much better. I should have made a video.

For those who prefer 1-ton steering, it probably makes sense for you, but ZJ steering makes sense for me. I bent 1 stock XJ tierod on my 91 XJ and I beat on that Jeep quite a bit. My current XJ is more of an adventure/expedition rig. If I do happen to bend the ZJ tie rod far from home, any parts store will have a replacement.

I didn't expect such a lively thread. About half of the ZJ steering writeups include the ZJ draglink and I wanted to clarify that the XJ draglink should be used. I also wanted to make sure this thread would come up in a search for ZJ steering.
Well Thanks! Weather you get flamed or not, you pointed out a good concern and i appreciate the effort to inform others.

XJ drag link 94-96: 5200 6592
ZJ drag link 94-96: 5200 5738 4.0L, 5203 7994 5.2L

Stabilizers:
XJ 94-96: 5208 7827
ZJ 94-96: 5208 7827
(same part, no mention of differences 2.5/4.0/5.2)

So yes they are different drag links, how different I don't know and don't care. Thanks for the info, if people ask whether they should upgrade the drag link in the future I'll make sure to warn them.

No, they are different:

XJ part: MOOG-DS1238
ZJ part: MOOG-DS1310 (DOES NOT WORK WELL ON XJ)

Your search kung-fu ain't to good.. lol I covered the differences and year changes in a different thread about the ZJ steering swap.. And my numbers do not include a ZJ drag link number but the correct XJ part number for an upgrade if you are older then an 89 XJ.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944708

page 1 starting at post 7, pg2 the first few posts or so and pg4 post #47

and a note on years is there to pg2 post #30

I have an 89 XJ so the newer draglink was an upgrade for me. 90+ XJ all used the same draglink. You may have gotten the ZJ one(DS1310, DS1311) as that one IS different and will not work well at all. See my post on pg 4 post 47 in the link above as to why. And yes when I did the posts on that thread I did do a side by side with all of them. 89- L6 XJ 90+ L6 XJ and ZJ V6 and V8.. If you have a 90+ it(DS1238) is just a stock replacement for you.

I just wanted to clarify in this thread what works and the correct part numbers as well(they are in the thread I linked). I have not seen a right up that says to specifically use the ZJ drag link just the ZJ tie rod set up. So just wanted to help clarify a few things.

Back