• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hantavirus outbreak...So gross

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
This summer, I have taken my family from the beach to the desert, to the mountains. High and Low deserts, Big Bear, Baldy, Anza to the Western and Eastern Sierras.(Mammoth Bridgeport June Mountain) Tahoe area, and Kings Canyon/Sequia National Forest.

On the last week of our adventures I got Flu like symptoms for 3 days (august 29)
When we arrived home, the rest of my fam got sick. Pneumonia for the wife and oldest son, bronchitis for the two younger kids.

All three kids missed their first week of school, and I was forced to take another week off work to take care of them all.

Turns out we got hit with the freaking Mouse Hantavirus. ******* sick.

Another family we were with around August 28, also got sick. Separate cabins, Western Sierra side. Not Yosemite. We don't go there.

We can't figure out how we got it. Possibly from mouse poop, or mouse poop dust in our water or food.
Maybe from the raw bear meat I tasted..... soooo gooood.

Just a friendly warning. It shouldn't keep you from visiting our awesome lands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer, I hope You're all better soon.

Ok seriously - wtf is with the Hantavirus outbreak?? That shit's not exactly the easiest to get and all of a sudden there's a damn epidemic..

Hantavirus or government conspiracy??

Family is getting back to daily life. Of course I am as strong as an ox, so no big deal for me...........
Kids started school 6 days late. Life is getting back to normal.

Back