• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's side York air compressor mount

epd166

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a cowl intake and have room on the driver's side for a York air conditioning compressor. I have not been able to find a mount kit for the Cherokee that fits on the driver's side. I would like to use a York with a serpentine belt pulley. My Cherokee is a 4.0 with factory air that work. Does anyone know if there is a mount kit made for the 1997 Cherokee for the driver's side. Yes, I have searched. No, I like my a/c and do not want to use factory Sanden pump since it gets hot in Idaho. If not I will have to fab one up to fit. Thanks.

You can search for a template here or Google and make a bracket that mounts off the side of the sanden. Been done many times.

Never seen one that mounts on the driver's side. It would be easier to relocate the battery and mount it on the passenger side, as Derek said.

Never seen one that mounts on the driver's side. It would be easier to relocate the battery and mount it on the passenger side, as Derek said.

Easier! I doubt it would be easier to relocate the battery and then make a mount. Why not just make the mount fit where you need it?

Have you figured out how you're going to route the belt? I think that will determine where you put it, you need good wrap on the pulleys.

there's a reason no one puts it on the drivers side, the manifolds, power steering pump, water pump, etc all get in the way.

What location do you have in mind? Above the manifold or below it?

Above - what are you going to mount it to? The injectors, wiring harness, etc are sorta in the way and there aren't really any mounting bosses to attach to.

Below - how are you going to deal with deleting the serpentine belt tensioner pulley? If the compressor even fits, and won't be damaged by the fact that it'll end up inches from the exhaust header.

You say it is easier on the driver side, but a bolt on kit that hundreds of people have used that puts it on the passenger side instead of adding a cowl hood and custom fabbing a mount to put it on the driver side is the definition of easier, which is why you can't find anyone who has done it or any kits.

The sanden is on the passenger's side, I want to put it on the driver's side hence what I wrote above.

Hence why I said make a bracket like many have done and mount it next to the sanden, then call kilby and get the alt pully to run the York off of it. Relocating the battery is easy. But go ahead and mount it on the drivers side. Do a write up when your done cause you may just be the first .

I installed my York setup five years ago by relocating the battery. And, with all due respect, your idea is never going to happen. So yes, it IS easier. ;)

I recently installed a cowl intake and have room on the driver's side for a York air conditioning compressor. I have not been able to find a mount kit for the Cherokee that fits on the driver's side. I would like to use a York with a serpentine belt pulley. My Cherokee is a 4.0 with factory air that work. Does anyone know if there is a mount kit made for the 1997 Cherokee for the driver's side. Yes, I have searched. No, I like my a/c and do not want to use factory Sanden pump since it gets hot in Idaho. If not I will have to fab one up to fit. Thanks.

Looks like no one has seen one on the driver's side so I am up to the challenge and will post you all a photo when done.:wave1:

Sorry to dredge this back up, but I only came across this thread today while searching for something else.

Here are some pics showing one way to mount a York on the driver's side of a 4.0 Liter in an XJ.

Credit for fabricating the mount goes to Scott Isferding at Diamond Off Road in Haslet, TX. Scott's the best.

This location is ideal for my setup; it left plenty of room for a small manifold, pop-off valve, and pressure switch on the outboard side of the compressor. And of course, it left the factory A/C and battery location completely unaffected. The only thing sacrificed was the stock breather box (no great loss).

This setup was installed in late 2005 and has worked well since.

The belt is a Gates K061130.

Edit-5386.jpg

Edit-5381.jpg

Edit-5383.jpg

Edit-5384.jpg

How did the power steering do with reduced belt wrap? Otherwise, looks good.

I am not a fan of cone filters in the engine bay on offroad vehicles but a cowl intake relocation would work just as well.

How did the power steering do with reduced belt wrap? Otherwise, looks good.

I haven't had any issues with it. The pump and box are both stock, and they push around 35s without complaint. On rare occasions there's little belt squeal when I start the motor if the A/C is on, and it goes away in a few seconds (immediately if I cycle the A/C compressor off then back on).

Any pictures of the mount?

No pictures of the mount itself. It's hard to see it, let alone get a picture of it. It's basically a flat plate, and the compressor is mounted to the top of it. I'll see if I can get some kind of photos of it tomorrow.

I guess it is possible. I have a cowl intake and lots of space over there so this would be nice.

Definitely possible, but it's tight. The intake hose for the compressor just rubs on the hood when it's closed.

So the pump is mounted to the chassis or engine? I would really like to see that mounting configuration. I'm looking at heading down this road and if is as simple as it looks I don't see any reason to spend money on an electric set up.

Yes, it's mounted to the motor. It's been so long ago, I honestly don't even remember what the mount looks like. When i took these photos today, I took a glance at it, but it's pretty hard to see from above. However, it was obvious that it's a flat plate to which the compressor is bolted. No upper brackets of any kind.

Again, I'll see if I can't get some photos of the mount tomorrow and post 'em here. Maybe I can see more from underneath....

I don't know that these pics are much help -- it's difficult enough to see the mounting bracket in person, and much harder to capture with a camera. But I said I'd try, so…

The mount is essentially a flat plate (about 3/16" thick) to which the compressor is directly bolted using the 4 tapped holes in the bottom of the compressor housing. The plate is angled slightly, which tilts the top of the compressor towards the outboard side of the Jeep.

There are several pieces of angle iron welded to the end and the underside of the plate. These are bolted to the existing idler pulley brackets and the engine block (there may be other supports, but these are the ones I can see).

A. The end of the plate is welded at an angle to a flat piece that is bolted to the idler pulley bracket just beneath the power steering pump.
B. This is the flat plate to which the compressor is directly bolted.

1. This is the longer of two support pieces of angle iron.
2. This bolt holds the longer support to the bottom of the engine block.
3. These are 3 of the 4 bolts holding the compressor to the flat plate.

IMG_5393edit.jpg

IMG_0792edit.jpg

Back