• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front tailshaft rebuild

junglejuice

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I am looking at rebuilding some front double cardan tailshafts to use in my Xj which has the HnT SYE so I am using the same tailshaft in the front and read.
My question is what is involved in dis-assmbling the slip joint for an inspection of the splines etc?

Cheers, JJ

IIRC, You do not want to dissemble the slip joint. last one I did messed up the teflon coating and ruined the shaft.

Just slide it apart as far as you can without tools and look at it.
Slide it back together and check for looseness. If loose the teflon coating on the splines is worn. I have had very worn shafts in the front without issue. In the back they may cause vibration.

Lube with good quality grease.

you need to pop off the dust cap (easier said than done), then the slip yoke will slide off the shaft. As stated above be cautious with the splined shaft as there is a wear coat on the splines. There are also versions made without the wear coat as well (but few and far between), in any event wipe the shaft with a soft rag and regrease with an NLGI EP 2 grease (most wheel bearing grease qualifies). Once you have it lightly greased slide it back on and check for play ... any, is worn out and will cause vibes, but if it's just a little it'd be a good "get me home" spare. You'll notice the worn shaft more on the rear ... usually as a 'rumble,rumble,pop!' kinda noise when really bad.

Now, keep in mind you'll likely need to run out and buy a new dust cap ... as they are one piece and tend to not come off all that well. If you are careful it'll still be OK. Removing the dust cap is the most damaging part of the operation.

Back