• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elbe Hills: 10/6 - 10/7

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
First Run of Fall - Elbe Hills

Who: Open invite, XJ or not, member or not.
What: Wheeling / Camping
When: October 5-7, Friday-Sunday
Where: Elbe Hills, we'll be camping in the campground and staging from it Saturday morning. I'm not going to set a time to hit the trails just because that never works. If you plan on coming out for the day, plan to be at the camp ground and ready to go around 0900.

Directions:
NWJeepn.com said:
From Elbe, drive east on Hwy 706 6.15 miles and turn left immediately after crossing the railroad tracks. The road will bear to the left after .5 miles, continue to the first fork in the road and keep to the right, proceeding up hill. At the second fork in the road, keep right again, and continue up hill. At 3.07 mile from the main road will be another fork, keep to the left here and you can access several of the trail off of this road, however explore the area as there are many trails around here. From the last fork if you drive about .1 mile then turn left, then immediately right you will be at the entrance of the campground. There is a nice covered meeting area in the campground with a large stone fireplace.

As for vehicle requirements, I'd recommend a minimum of 31's and a locker. Elbe has a pretty big reputation for body damage, so be forewarned.

I don't really have a game plan as far as trails go, I figure we'll wing it NWC style. I'm hoping to be able to run all the trails in the park, and then possibly a night run Saturday.

Post up if you're in, and if you will be camping or not. This will likely be one of the last decent weekends before we enter monsoon season. Hope to see a good turn out for this!

Last edited:
Correct, you'll need a Discovery Pass to be legit. Day use passes are available for $5, or you can get an annual for ~$35. Available pretty much anywhere fishing/hunting licenses are sold.

I believe Dellstopjeep is in. Scratch that, I'll make him go.

As of now i plan on being there saturday

how far out of portland??? and i if dont bring the xj is there a width reg. that I need to know, and is a full size with 44" in tsl:laugh: doable for there?

80 inches

I dont think elbe has a width restriction yet. I always see huge rigs on 42"+ tires there

Update:

I got a hold of Nancy Barker the DNR rep for the Elbe Hills Campground. There is a work party going on this weekend, and the campground is reserved for work party volunteers first.

This means that if the campground fills up, we get the boot. I don't know how strong the volunteer turnout is up there, but from what I've seen from other work parties I think we'll be fine. Usually there is a gate to get into the campground, but because of the work party the gate should be open.

Now for the bad news regarding the Discover Pass. For those of you towing, you will need a pass in your tow rig, and one in your wheeler if it's street legal (meaning it's plated and not ORV tagged). The new passes do come with two lines so you can switch it between vehicles, but it cannot be used on two vehicles at once. $99 ticket for not having a pass. (n)

Sounds like we'll have a decent sized group.
-TORX
-Mnkyboy + 2
-Dellstopjeep & BPB
-Cherocon

Ive got a cj and a samurai rollin with me. Is ben bringin his toy?! I should be there between 8-830

bens toy isnt quite ready yet. Im bringing my trailer trash and towing with my broken truck. I should be there around the same time Saturday with ben.

Sweet. Well its gonna be dry up there and a guy in our jeep club said he ran the busy wild in about an hour and a half last weekend so that will be an easier run

Back