• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ACOS

I have them and have run them for 7 years now. I started with them on my first trail rig and now they are on my second rig. You can adjust from 1.25-3" lift if i remember correctly. I have mine set at 1.5" lift with RE 4.5 coils and a Logans winch bumper/Warn XD9000i winch. My net lift is around 5.5" over stock and I have my rear set at 6.5" over stock with RE 4.5" springs(old style) and 1.5 shackles/HD Engineering relocation boxes to correct the shackle angle.

I have always felt that the ACOS was money well spent due to the adjust-ability of them. I was able to adjust out the "gangsta" lean that so many XJ's just seem to have and correct for the weight of the winch. My current trail rig had "the lean" bad but it was from Metro DC originally haha!

I believe currie now sells them for about 200$. If I go higher, I will go the ACOS route. Great way to add some lift and fine tune each side to sit correctly.
IIRC, you can go as low as .75 lift.

I run them and I used them at first to even out the front springs. Last month I went with shackle relocators in the back and they jacked the rear up almost 2 inches. It was a breeze to use the ACOS to even out the suspension and bring the front up to where I needed it. You just loosen the collars then use a wire brush to clean off the threads, I sprayed some WD 40 on them. Put the jeep on jackstands at the frame rails to let the wheels droop and screw the collars down to what you desire. Tighten the clamp and you're done. One thing, use a little anti seize on the allen head screw that tightens the collar.

Driversside.jpg

Do the ACOS have the adjustable bumpstop built in to them or is that another component?

They come with a bump stop that's a fixed length. As I remember, and don't quote me on this, I contacted them a couple of years ago when I first got mine. I believe they didn't want to add more spacers to the bottom because of the stress it would put on the upper tower. As for me, I just drilled out a couple of hockey pucks and drilled and tapped the bottom pad for bumpstopping.

Fury is correct, there's a fixed bumpstop. You can mount pucks on the axle to adjust
stop height. I've run ACOS for ~5 years now with no issues.

I had a set on my Comanche. They gave my about 2inches of lift. I did notice a harsher ride.

The ride gets harsher no matter how you lift the front end, you're making the angle of your control arms steeper - harsher ride.

Just a quick piece of info. :peace:

I'm running hockey pucks on the coil buckets for bump stops. As for a harsher ride, yes the higher you go the worse the ride and handle. I'm running RE DB's, long arms are another option. I have zero complaints about the DB's though. The ride/handle is as good as stock and it flexes great with the johnny jointed UCA/LCA's and track bar.

Great feedback guys...So now help me bench build so I know what to expect and what to order.
I'm shooting for about 3-3.5"s of lift. I already sourced a pair of S10 rear springs to make the bastard pack and have a Ford 8.8 sitting next to them. All its brackets and such are on the way from Ruff stuff already and I scored a 1310 adapter off a rusty old ranger.
So if I run the ACOS up front... and I'm shooting for say 3.5"s, what else will I need. Brake lines? I'm pretty sure shocks are required (lol) but I'm not sure what to go with there. Will I need an adjustable trac bar? Drop drackets? New arms?? A widget for the flux capacitor?? :) I'd like to get all the stuff here at once so I don't end up getting into it and finding I need part "X" and have to be without the Jeep for a month waiting for it. I'd also like to keep this as inexpensive (cheap) as possible. Where that comes into difficulty is that I'd rather not buy parts I may waste...as in, if I decide to go a little bigger or smaller later on...I'd like to be able to reuse as much of the stuff as possible if that makes sense? The ACOS seem to be a great example of that as I can "tune" them depending on where I'm sitting. Please keep up the great input folks!!!!!

Great feedback guys...So now help me bench build so I know what to expect and what to order.
I'm shooting for about 3-3.5"s of lift. I already sourced a pair of S10 rear springs to make the bastard pack and have a Ford 8.8 sitting next to them. All its brackets and such are on the way from Ruff stuff already and I scored a 1310 adapter off a rusty old ranger.
So if I run the ACOS up front... and I'm shooting for say 3.5"s, what else will I need. Brake lines? I'm pretty sure shocks are required (lol) but I'm not sure what to go with there. Will I need an adjustable trac bar? Drop drackets? New arms?? A widget for the flux capacitor?? :) I'd like to get all the stuff here at once so I don't end up getting into it and finding I need part "X" and have to be without the Jeep for a month waiting for it. I'd also like to keep this as inexpensive (cheap) as possible. Where that comes into difficulty is that I'd rather not buy parts I may waste...as in, if I decide to go a little bigger or smaller later on...I'd like to be able to reuse as much of the stuff as possible if that makes sense? The ACOS seem to be a great example of that as I can "tune" them depending on where I'm sitting. Please keep up the great input folks!!!!!

I'd pick up an adjustable track bar. I myself run Iron Rock's double shear. It's beefy and it'll let you grow because you can tune it to what height you're at. Arms... it's tough to say. I'm sure people have their favorites but I'm running RC's newer adjustables on my lowers and JKS's on my uppers and I'm running drop brackets. Some people will tell you go with long arms. I will say this, you kinda get a fever of liftitest... You lift...a year later you wanna go higher...maybe regear, bigger tires.... it goes on and on. Now that I've got you saying "where does it end?" Go with what your wallet will comfortably allow. Minimum... did I spell that right? You'll need longer shocks, an adjustable trackbar and I'd say lower arms along with some good armor like a transfer case skid, gas tank and rocker protection and wheel the hell out of it. Just my opinion anyone else wanna chime in here?

I'm running hockey pucks on the coil buckets for bump stops. As for a harsher ride, yes the higher you go the worse the ride and handle. I'm running RE DB's, long arms are another option. I have zero complaints about the DB's though. The ride/handle is as good as stock and it flexes great with the johnny jointed UCA/LCA's and track bar.

I'm running RE DBs as well, my ride quality is amazing and my Jeep flexes out pretty well, there's still more untapped suspension travel there.

Unless you run long arms

Even if you're running long arms the ride will suffer at a higher lift height. It won't be as drastic with long arms, but it still affects your ride quality.

I agree with the brake lines, had a friend pull his apart a couple of years ago.
I did JKS adjustable upper and lowers with about the same lift (3.5" initially). I added about 1.5" overall to the control arm length and that worked out really well.

Back