• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Southern Nevada Offroading/Hunting trip, Dec 8-16

SC Rednek

NAXJA Forum User
Three month warning, just so nobody can say they didn't have time to plan taking off from work!

Campsite will be at N36.209516, W114.170609 (just put it in google), bring a gps to find it when you come out.

Planning on camping, offroading, fishing, hunting, checking out old mines, and of course drinking beer. Primarily looking to shoot Jack and Cottontail Rabbit, Quail, and Coyote. For anybody that doesn't want to buy an out of state hunting license, Jack Rabbit and Coyote are free to shoot anytime.

Most of the roads in the area are really easy, and any 4x4 could make it to the campsite, probably any jeep with 32's could do about anything in the area. Doesn't mean there's nothing fun though, the backroads are scenic, remote, and overgrown, just not all rutted out from use.

If you're bringing a trailered rig, ATV's, or an RV, there's room to park them at Gold Butte (site of an old mining tent city) a few miles away from where I'll be camped. You could try to get them down that last road, but good luck.

This place is remote, closest gas station is 60 miles away, so bring everything you need.

GoldButte-2.jpg

If I end up having a few days off work I may come and join you.

Less than a month to go, put in your leave from work cause this will be an awesome trip!

I'm driving out tomorrow to make sure the rains haven't destroyed the roads or anything, and do some scouting around the area to check out a few creeks that show up on google maps, and hopefully kill some bunnies so I got something good to eat next week.

That campsite's a lot harder to get to than I remembered, I even got lost trying to find it again. So, I think I might settle for camping in the same place as last year, not quite as ideal but much easier to find (GPS still highly recommended if you don't know the area).

Campsite change to N 36.301966, W 114.146147, there's an old corral and windmill right there, and a reasonable large cleared area for parking and setting tents. A few small trees for shade and shelter, but there's a great place to collect firewood nearby. It's also a lot closer to some pretty cool mines.

Yesterday
PB120110.jpg

A trip like this sounds awesome!

too bad I can't take the time off this time of year :(

Do you eat the rabbits?

How do they taste?

This sounds like a fun trip.

I'm going to help lower the population of rabbits at my in laws house using my bow. I wouldn't mind trying them out. lol

I wouldn't eat rabbits from the city, they are what they eat and if they're eating garbage...

and cottontail's taste sort of like chicken. Jack rabbit I'd say the closest thing is duck, it's a darker, greasier meat.

Last edited:
Back