• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal problem

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 1998 xj and my left rear turn signal has gone in and out intermittently but now when i use the left turn signal it sometimes causes the right rear flasher to flash without the the left flasher. If anyone could point me where to start Id really appreciate it

x2 I had the same issue. It's up under the knee bolster (dash) behind the light switch, you can just reach up there and jiggle it out. They're listed as electronic flashers and i wouldn't call them cheap, I think mine was like $10+ from autozone.

The fix is to replace the signal switch, Its an easy fix and not too $$.It is a normal problem.....

Wierd turn signal issues can be caused by a faulty ground in the drivers side rear of the vehicle behind the panel behind the spare tire.

I checked the wiring behind the spare and nothing seemed out of the ordinary... a day or so later my turn signals went back to functioning properly but ave recently started acting up again so Im going to pick up a relay. Now however I have a new problem... my head lamp low beams are not working normally. When I pull the headlamp knob my parking lights work correctly however my low beams do not always come on... sometimes they take a few minutes sometimes they do not come on at all. My high beams are functioning properly. Any input would be great.

check the trailer hitch wiring if you have any.

the headlamp issue sounds like the headlamp switch. also cheap, mildly PITA to replace. It's easiest if you pull the gauge cluster out of the way.

My '98 did the EXACT same thing.

Removed the switch assembly and cleaned it with WD40 and compressed air, good as new, no re-occurrence.

My '98 did the EXACT same thing.

Removed the switch assembly and cleaned it with WD40 and compressed air, good as new, no re-occurrence.

WD-40 has no business around electrical things.

Get some non chlorinated contact cleaner or some DeOXIT. If you need something to prevent oxidation you can go standard dielectric grease, or a spray cleaner/dielectric compound like SprayON 2001.

So replaced the turn signal relay and it seems to be working fine again.... replaced the headlamp switch though and i still do not have low beams. Any input would be great.

Checked the plugs for 12V at the headlamps?

checked all the fuses?

you'll have to figure out if you've got 12V at the switch, then figure out where it stops.

Back