• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door check/strap RIPPED sheet metal from door!

constable

NAXJA Forum User
My door check has been working flawlessly up until a few days ago. I noticed a clicking sound, then it stopped working all together. I figured it had died after 140,000 miles, so I bought a good used one to replace it.

I took the door apart this afternoon to find a surprise!!!

The door sheet metal surrounding the studs for the door check has ripped out from around one stud. The door check bracket then snapped in half.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix? I was thinking of taking the door off and welding a patch plate in there.

I could just leave the door check out and everything would be fine, but I like having it operational.

I had the exact same thing happen. So far I've just had the door check out and it's been ok. I wish it was there but to me it's too much effort for something that isn't absolutely necessary. I just make sure to not let the door swing freely open. But a small patch panel should work. But I believe it's not flat and is concave. Might be difficult to make but I'm sure it can be done

I had a similar situation occur and left the door check out until the wind caught the door and caught my ankle between the door and rocker. I was lucky enough to have enough material to be able to use oversized bolts and it has held tight since.

The welding of a plate would work great.

Back