• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 Pinion seal replacement questions

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally get the nut and yolk off, and I am unable to remove the seal. I don't have a puller and have been trying with different size flatheads and pry bars. Can not get it out . Any tips, do you pry from outside ? Also does the new one I bought look like the correct one ? Thanks

142309d1346902535t-d30-pinion-seal-replacement-questions-image-3865671785.jpg

142310d1346902538t-d30-pinion-seal-replacement-questions-image-3412165894.jpg

Use the edge of the screw driver like a chisel and put it against the outer edge of the old seal. The hit with a hammer. It will deform the old seal forcing it in toward the center then you should be able to just pry it up a bit and it will pop right out. And that seal looks about right.

^^^ what he said.

here is a pic to help clarify what he is telling you to do

pinion5.jpg

also, it looks like you have water in the oil, i would flush it out and refill with new clean gear oil. could just be the pic though.

There's a recent post by BostonIrish that you may want to follow. I posted what I believe is the right way to do your project. I had a feeling that it would be controversial and apparently it is.

Back