• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle build for my weekend warrior...

98fivespeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone.

I am getting ready to get some new tread and going to need to regear at the same time. Currently have a 1998, 4l, 5spd, 44/30 w/3.07 open, and 265/75/16.

Headed to a 285/75/16 Duratrac with 4.56 gears and am looking for some input on what I should do for lockers and possibly axle shaft upgrades. I have read a lot of good reviews about the Detroit Truetrac for the 44 and was considering an ARB for the front. This would give me the onboard air that I would like also. Or should I go air locker front and rear? What about upgrading shafts? Lots of manufacturers out there and varying pricing.

Figure since I need new carriers, I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks in advance for the input.

jb

The Detroit Truetrac is a limited slip not a locker.

I would say go with selectable, ARB if you have the cash. It's nice to have them open when not needed. Full detroits are nice too. very reliable and about half the cost.

I have a full Detroit locker in my D44 and run a powertrax no slip lunch box style locker in the front. I am running stock shafts front and rear and have 4.56 gears and run 33's and haven't had any issues with breaking shafts. I did twist up one outer D30 shaft but that was my own stupidity that did that. It all depends on how hard you wheel and the type of wheeling you do.

I have been very happy with the performance of my Detroit locker and Detroit TrueTrac combination. Handles the Rubicon easily. For me the mechanical simplicity and lower cost than ARB were selling points.

Detroit lockers here, front and back. Brutal strong and automatic so you don't have to think about it. Like Ron Popiel says "set it and forget it!"

Do you guys run those Detroits on daily drivers?
Yes. Slightly over 400 miles a week for 4 years now. With the transfer case in 2wd, the front one is completely invisible. And as long as you don't mash the skinny pedal when you're going around corners, the back one acts like any open differential.

Last edited:

I don't daily drive it but wouldn't hesitate to do so if necessary. The only time I notice the full locker in the rear is when accelerating from a stop while turning the corner. It's not disturbing. Just makes me think about tire wear so I go easy on the skinny pedal.

Driving up in the mountains on the twisty roads around here with a Detriot Locker isn't fun as you are always in the gas per se climbing the hills. When I switched over to the selectable E-Locker you could notice a great improvement with handling when open.

Had full detroits front and rear in mine forever, never any issues driving on road, beastly offroad. Drove quite a few snowy mountain road with that set up, never any issues, but I know what i'm doing and that helps.

ARB's are great, but unreliable in my experience. Always see people with cut air line, faulty solenoids, overheated compressors, etc.

Full Detroit rear / Eaton E-Locker up front for me. It's my DD and I've had no issues. I can feel the rear locker lock / unlock on occasion, but it's nothing too severe, just takes a little getting used to. I've had Detroits in two of my Mustangs, so I'm used to them.

Thanks for the responses. BrentT/Locked98, has that E-locker given you any issues? Vanimal, didn't you have one that went bad on ya?

What about upgrading axle shafts at the same time? Overkill? I'm no killer on the trails. Still a noob and learning what my jeep will and wont do. Hope to hit the sierras when I head south to visit family though and driving it back home again would be grand.

XJensen, you mentioned that the Truetrac is a lsd. Correct and I was pulling that into the mix because of the jeep being my dd. With so many months of wet weather up here I was thinking about it over the full detroit for road manners.

Maybe I should just get selectable front and rear.....

Excellent. What did you research much about what brand you purchased or did you buy on price? I have seen Superior, Yukon, Ten-something, AlloyUsa and maybe a few others. The Yukon stuff seems to get used quite a bit.

Are you driving an aw4 or ax15?

Living in WA, like me, I find having selectable lockers F&R invaluable with all the mountains and hills. I have ARBs front and rear and love it now they are set up properly.

They were initially set up by randy's ring and pinion and didn't get enough preload on the carrier which caused problems for both F&R (spun bearings and seal housings). I finally said screw it and set it up my self by the book and haven't looked back. It is super crutial to set these things up with a case spreader or else there is no way to get the required carrier preload because the shims go between the race and housing (vs the bearing and carrier).

In addition it forced me to have OBA which is awesome.

As far as shafts it all depends on what you have money for. It's way cheaper to just have some JY spares if you're unsure that you need stronger shafts. If you find you're consistently breaking shafts then upgrade at that point.

Excellent. What did you research much about what brand you purchased or did you buy on price? I have seen Superior, Yukon, Ten-something, AlloyUsa and maybe a few others. The Yukon stuff seems to get used quite a bit.

Are you driving an aw4 or ax15?

I ended up with Yukon axles. Only because it's what the shop doing the install normally uses. As for research, everyone seems to think what they have are the best. Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers.

AW-4 trans. Planning to move up to 33's next time I need tires.

I am running an 8.8 with chromos and 4.56's and also a full detroit. it is virtually unnoticeable on my daily driver. I can only feel it around corners sometimes but it's nothing bad. but I picked it up for $280. look into detroit, yukon lockers, OX, and eaton-E. I love my detroit though wouldn't do anything else out back. the front on the other hand I wish I had a selectable. the aussie/D30 combo is do-able for the price but eh...

however I wish I had 4.88's (Aw4/4.0/33's)

All of my vehicles have lockers in them.

My early Bronco has a Detroit in back and an L.A. Locker (before they became Lock-Rites) up front. So used to the Detroit that I don't even notice it, front locker is a pain in the butt most of the time but, welcome when I really need it :)....sucks on an icy road.

Toyota p/u with a rear Lock-Rite goes almost everywhere I point it and just about everywhere with the Tacoma e-locker (transplanted in front) engaged. Lock-Rite is extremely harsh and ill mannered on pavement.

Just regeared my XJ and added a No-Slip in the rear D44....extremely smooth, can't even tell it's there. ARB in front just no air to it yet :(

If you can afford it, go with some kind of selectables...ie. ARB, e-locker, OX (ected is not a real locker and not worth the money in my opinion) at least in front (locked front ends are not fun on icy roads) and run a Detroit or No-Slip in back.

however I wish I had 4.88's (Aw4/4.0/33's)

That's what I went with...glad I did (mileage improved too!)

Hans

Last edited:
Back