• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I would Definately recommend a smitybuilt winch now

zachandandy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
After using my winch for literally hours this past weekend, including pulling hard enough to snap my synthetic line, I couldn't be happier with this cheap winch. Broke more parts than I can believe on the Dusy Ershim trail, then the winching began. For anyone who has ever considered buying a cheap winch, at $249 on sale when I bought it, the xrc 8000 lb has made a believer out of me. Is it better than a $1200 warn? Probably not. Are 4 xrc's better(and still cheaper) than a $1200 warn? I would have to say yes.

I've got one and it's seen plenty if use, mostly to help out others around here in the winter. It's never failed me yet and does a good job. For an inexpensive winch I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm one of only two people that I know of that live inside of the park that has a winch on their vehicle and we're everyones friend when the snow starts piling up. :laugh:

are these things fairly light as far as winches go? looking for a little something to take on and off, leaving it stored in the back of the heep when not in use.

After using my winch for literally hours this past weekend, including pulling hard enough to snap my synthetic line, I couldn't be happier with this cheap winch. Broke more parts than I can believe on the Dusy Ershim trail, then the winching began. For anyone who has ever considered buying a cheap winch, at $249 on sale when I bought it, the xrc 8000 lb has made a believer out of me. Is it better than a $1200 warn? Probably not. Are 4 xrc's better(and still cheaper) than a $1200 warn? I would have to say yes.

Do you have a snatch block to use when you're winching?

Had mine on a receiver craddle for the first year I had it. Everytime I needed it seemed like I was in a position that made it a royal pain to either get the winch out of the back or put it on the front. It's permanently mounted under the radiator now.

Not to bash smitty but i used mine once and it would not hold any pressure on the line. So after talking with smitty they shipped out a new clutch and brake assembly 100% free of charge even thou i wasnt the origonal buyer. So i would say ther customer service is tits. I still would prefer my warn 9000i for my heep. I use the xrc 8000 on my 95 yota. But overall its good for the price since it hasnt broken again yet.

Synthetic line on a smittybuilt?
ill stick with my 8274 and steel line for that price, thanks.

Where did you get yours for 249? Dad wants one for his car trailer

The one and only XRC8 that I have owned did not free spool well, otherwise it was OK. Kinda the shits though if I had to pull out 50ft of line and the remote only went 6ft ;)

As far as this mythical $1,200 WARN winch. Well a M8000 will run you about $650. A VR8000 will run you about $450. Both are high speed recovery, 8000lb winches made by Warn; well, in as much is actually made by any US MFG these days.

After dealing with Mile Marker on the E8000 I bought with a "Lifetime Warranty", which they refused to back up because they could no longer source parts... And knowing that every single Smittybilt product is made in China and backed by just as good of warranty as that good old MM E8000 they bought from HF, who got it from China...

For the extra $200, I ponied up for the Warn VR8000 instead. I couldn't be happier. I know where Warn will be tomorrow when I need parts. I needed some parts for my M8000, and Warn had them.

What about your Smittybilt? Well, I suppose you'll just buy a new one.
How many Smittybilt winches can you buy for $450? 1.4?

What the hell good is .4 of a winch? :D

Souske, you can pickup a XRC8 almost anywhere for $249. However, be aware that they really draw power.

Last edited:
Mythical $1200 warn really? Yes they have cheaper models, but they have at least a dozen that cost over a grand. The 8274 is almost $2000. As far as the number of xrc's for $450, it's 1.8 and by the time you buy the parts for the $450 warn, yes you could just buy another xrc. If your in the market for a cheap winch, buy a cheap winch, not an overpriced name brand cheap winch. If you want a fast winch with added features, wireless remotes, built in air compressors and the like, you will have to pony up for an expensive winch.

Yes, mythical.

You unfairly compare an inexpensive China made winch which the next run may have completely different parts, to a well known and valued workhorse with totally different recovery speed (73ft/m), Line Capacity (6300lbs at wrap 5) a different line length (150ft) and a different brake system and a price tag that goes with all that stuff.

Truth be told, I looked at a bunch of winches for the LJ.
I looked at the XRC8, I've owned one, not enthused with the free spool action. I researched afterwards, I am not the only one.
I looked at the HF 8000 and though it was in the same price range, I didn't want to know that I could eat lunch while this model was extracting my buddy.

I compared gear ratios, and looked at pull tables from the MFG. What I was mostly interested in was a more consistent pull capacity per layer of cable, secondary was cable speed at that capacity. I also wanted a smooth free spool, reasonably light line, and a nice control box. I also wanted to be able to go to a Manufacture 5 years from now and be able to order parts.

I really wanted another Warn M8000, the VR8000 seemed a reasonable alternative and features the same line rating per wrap as the M8000, but with slightly less speed. More expensive that a XRC8, yes. Paying for the name an issue? Then don't even think about a Superwinch, they will leave you butt sore ;)

Don't get me wrong, the XRC8 is a fine winch for the price. It may last you a few more pulls, or it may last years. Hard saying with winches.

But comparing Apples and Oranges is an unfair comparison to the Apples, or the Oranges. Not to mentions lovers who enjoy both Apples and Oranges in bed...but I digress ;)

the 8274-50 is 2k
i found my 8274 for 500 (yes, its older than I am)

got mine for $500 as well and it ran great as a 30 plus year old winch that was worked hard with no maitenance done on a farm. It even had muddy water in it instead of oil when I opened it.

But I decided to rebuild it and clean it up and throw a synthetic line on.

it is a beast and a cinch to rebuild (if you ever need to).

I fully expect it to last another 30 years. If I ever rebuild again I will use the newer more powerful motor and stronger keyed shaft from the newer model.
(I believe the older ones like mine have another gear in the reduction over the new one)

also it's a JEEP special equip model that was an actual jeep option with jeep logos..

in my family we've been through 4 or 5 cheapo winches and a Ramsey . I'll take my warn anyday

I'm a big fan of my XRC10. Got it for $400 w/free shipping and bought a synthetic line to go with it. It's been used fairly heavily and never disappointed me. The free spool could be smoother, but it's never prevented me from pulling the line out.

are these things fairly light as far as winches go? looking for a little something to take on and off, leaving it stored in the back of the heep when not in use.

My XRC10 Comp 10K winch with a synthetic rope is 63 pounds. That's pretty light. It's way lighter than my Warn HS9500i with a steel cable was.

I agree that it's apples n oranges comparing the xrc to a high end warn, but there's nothing mythical about the price point difference. Comparing used prices to new is no different. I've seen used xrc winches in the $100 range. Point I want to make is the xrc will be cheaper than the tow bill you may incur while saving to buy a warn. Line speed isn't great, nor is free spool, but it beats using a hi lift as a come along. Never did or would I say that it's better than a warn, but it gets the job done for cheap.

Not the point. We all know Warn is better, prettier, shinier, etc. at a price that does not make much sense.

The Smitty products are reasonable in price and do a reasonable job. That is the point that is made here.

Considering the parts (mostly imported) and manufacturing are very similar, one cannot understand why Warn would cost 3 to 4 times more for a similar power rating.

Synthetic line on a smittybuilt?
ill stick with my 8274 and steel line for that price, thanks.

Where did you get yours for 249? Dad wants one for his car trailer

Back