• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud hiss + couple drops/small puddle of coolant....then nothing?

Bjorn86

NAXJA Forum User
99, 4.0, aw4, 4x4
I was driving home from the trail today and heard a loud hissing noise, similar to what a tire with a large hole would make. I immediately pulled over and found a few drops of coolant dripping from what appeared to be the radiator. The hissing had stopped at this point, and there was no apparent source of the coolant. I searched for a few minutes, found nothing, and drove home. No leaks, no more drips of coolant...nothing.

This is following a thorough flush of the entire cooling system, replacement of all cooling hoses and heater hoses, and a new radiator cap. Prior to the hissing, I was running around 210-215 which I was fine with, seeing as I had just climbed a large hill. Following the hiss, I was running around 190.

My question is, what the heck was the hissing?! Could it have been my radiator cap venting out some air that may have been trapped in the system? That's the only thing I could think of that would make that kind of a noise and it would explain the little bit of coolant I found.

Back