• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blower fan works on hgh

rick96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 cherokee the ac-heater fan only runs on high can't find a wire diagram not sure if switch or resister,, motor runs and sounds good on high

its the resistor. its burned out.

check and make sure the switch is not faulty. chances are the motor is dragging bit, putting too much load on the resistor.

do you know what the resstance of resister is and i was looking for wireing diagram for the switch -also is the resister in the motor housung area

the resistor is just behind the glove box.

I don't know the answer to any of the other parts.

the bigger problem is that in order to pull the blower motor (if its bad) you need to discharge the A/C system and remove the heater core... a PITA.

X2 on doing exactly what garr says in his great write-up. If the thermal fuse blows again, the motor is likely on its way out. Been there, done that, except the motor is an easy replacement on the '93.

So at the risk of sounding like a total tool here I guess I'll take a chance and ask... Is this in the same location as the TJ or am I pulling the glovebox or ??
I just know my luck and I'd like to do as little collateral damage as possible...

Thanks...
Curt

Just did this today. BTT for a great tech tip.

My old fuse appeared to say 152c on it. The RadioShack fuse pictured is rated to 139c .

I figure that's close enough.

I did have some blower squeal before the fuse blew, but all is quiet now. We'll see if that stays the case when temps drop. I understand that a failing blower could draw more juice, and that could blow the fuse, but I'll update if things change.

Anybody need 22 of a 26-22 gauge butt connector? Only sold in a 24 pack, but that was all of $2.39. :)

Edit: This answer to this may be obvious to some, but I don't play well with electrical systems usually. Does that whole resistor pack control the fan speed by "absorbing" more of the electricity to slow the fan speed. I.e. the thickest spring is for the slowest fan speed, and the highest (well, second from highest) is the thinnest spring? The increased resistance decreases the voltage to the fan.

Last edited:
Back