• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spider Gears reinstall???

Ives2210

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ, C8.25.
Replaced the wheel bearings and seals, now I can not get the top/bottom spider gears lined up again. How do I need to approach this?

My differential experiance is limited. When I put new shafts in they went right back in.

Also, the "washer" that is on the back of both gears has come off. Does this mean that I need new spider gears? I did have a clunk sound in the rear.

Please don't say "search"...there's only so many "What did you do to your XJ today"'s I can search through.

The spacer washers are not permanently attached. I take a bit of gear oil and stick them back on.

I haven't put spiders in in some time, but I don't remember it being a chore or any special trick needed. I do remember having to rotate the carrier a bit to suck the gear into place.

The "Clunk Sound" in the rear that was preexisting would be gear/pinion backlash, a loose cross pin (worn carrier), bad limited slip clutches...
You should have probably researched that before you took it apart ;)

Don't forget that with an 8.25 you'll need to do at least a partial gear set-up when you've removed the carrier, preload and backlash.

Good point, but I figured he had that covered... Maybe not if he's asking about spider washers ;)

The backlash and pre-load adjustments aren't too bad. There is a method that is detailed in a locker install I saw once that gets you back in the ballpark if you followed their instructions on dissasembly. IIRC, it involves marking the adjusters and how many threads are showing on each side of the bearing cap, then returning the setup to the original view. I've done it with good results.

Ya, otherwise you end up getting out the dial gauges.

IIRC, it involves marking the adjusters and how many threads are showing on each side of the bearing cap, then returning the setup to the original view. I've done it with good results.
Ya, otherwise you end up getting out the dial gauges.

This is exactly what I did when I needed to remove the carrier during a lunch box locker install gone wrong.....
It will work out fine if you count the threads and mark the adjusters or measure the exposed threads of the adjuster with a depth micrometer.

Back