• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any wheelin in Idyllwild?

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
It's been a while since I have been on here. After having to sell the XJ and WJ to pay for my wifes medical bills and fertility it was too depressing to come on here. The good news is that the fertility and all of its costs was successful. My wife was able to get pregnant and we recently had our 2nd son. (Colton). He is a very healthy and a VERY fat baby. The WJ trade for a kid was definately worth it. Anyways..... back to my original reason for this post. Weekend after next I will be camping up in Idyllwild at Hurkey Creek with some friends and two of them are bringing 4x4's. One is a lifted Chevy 1500 Z71 and the other is a stock X-Terra 4x4. I would like to take them out but due to there type of vehicle I can't really do anything extreme. Anyone know of any decent trails in the Idyllwild area? GPS coordinates or directions to the trail heads would be great. In regards to what I will be driving; I picked up another FJ80. I had one years ago and badly wanted to get into another one. Once I had all the bills paid off I had a little left. I spent my summer break from teaching doing carpentry work to add to my little fund and was able to pick up a 97 with 86,000 original miles and factory lockers front and rear. I will be back in the wheelin world again soon, just not in a Jeep this time. Sorry guys. I would still love to go out wheelin with yall anyways if you can handle a yota tagging along. As of right now, I picked up a used 3.5" lift and some used 35's, and some used sliders. It's somewhat trail worthy now. Just needs some bumpers, but that's not in the budget for a while. Here's a pic of how it looks now. Sliders are on, but weren't when I took this pic. Also attachimg a pic of the addition to the family

DSC02717.jpg pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
congrats on the kid and the new rig!
There's thomas mountain right over there. all fire roads, but at least it's dirt amd the view at the top is great. other than that, just explore the fire roads. i heard there's something called the hemmet jeep club trail but i have never done it so you may want to research it before you wheel

Awesome! It’s good to hear from you again! :)

Congratulations, big time.

As far as wheeling up there, it’s been quite some time since I was there and I’m not entirely sure the trails we were on were even legal trails. I’m talking ’95 or something. I know there are trail systems up there, but I don’t at all know exactly where or how rough they are.

Brad,
Congratulations! Glad to hear everything is work out for you. As someone mentioned above Thomas mountain is a good scenic trail or you can take Thomas mountain all the way to Rouse Hill (5S15) and then to 74 and take Bee Canyon back to Pin Cove or 243.
Hope you have fun.

Seeing new life is always a blessing and amazing, Congrats. As far as Idyllwild, not much in tough trails, there are a few scenic such as Bee Cyn but that's about the longest. There are trails south of Hemet that can take you towards Anza and Cuhuilla Indian Res. with some crawling but a lot is private land!

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like we will be taking the Thomas Mtn. trail. We have another 4x4 joining the mix which is a Honda Pilot. So we DEFINATELY need to stick with the easy fire roads. As soon as I have the time and money to fab up some bumpers I hope I can do some more extreme trails with yall again. I defintely want to hit the Rubicon again soon.

Back