• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ, Wheel Spacer Question

Xj_idget

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 2000 XJ Limited with 129K miles. This is my first lifted vehicle, so I'm learning as I go. It has a fresh 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, Bilstein shocks, E-locker if front, Trak-Lok in back and almost new 265/65-16 Goodyear Wranglers (new version, pretty nice tire) on 16" XJ Limited rims...AND it has wheel spacers: 5/8in.front, 3/4in. rear.

The spacers are needed with these rims to provide clearance from tire to sway bar end links in front, and from tire sidewall to leaf spring in the back.

I have never really liked spacers, only because they seem to be a substitute for proper wheel backspacing. However, I really don't know much about them. I assume they add a week link to the drivetrain, but perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Either way, with the 265/65-16 tires, can I get sufficient clearance using the TJ Rubicon rims? My understanding is that they have an additional 0.5in. backspacing (outward) relative XJ wheels...is that right? Do they also have a wider rim width (which might make the sidewall more vertical)?

Any guidance from the more experienced out there?

Thanks ~ Steve

The spacers are needed with these rims to provide clearance from tire to sway bar end links in front, and from tire sidewall to leaf spring in the back.

I have never really liked spacers, only because they seem to be a substitute for proper wheel backspacing. However, I really don't know much about them. I assume they add a week link to the drivetrain, but perhaps someone can enlighten me?

TJ Rubicon rims?

I have a quite similar set up, 4.5 lift that netted 5+, Clayton LAs.
Also I'm running TJ moab rims (Rubicon's 03-06) & GY Duratracs 265/75/16...in the front I don't run spacers BUT I adjusted the turn ratio because I was rubbing in the LAs ...no big deal..
in my rear I have a 8.8 (5/8 shorter in each side), I'm using spidertrax spacers to compensate the 5.75 backspace of the wheels in addition to the narrower axle.
NO PROBLEMS so far after two years, just install them according to instructions ( lb-in & use locktite)..
my 0.02 cent

They are not necessarily a weak link, but are an additional link to consider. I have never run them personally, but most of what I have read boils down to the quality of the spacers, and consistency of the install. If they are of reasonable quality and are torqued properly (some people also locktite them), there is pretty much no additional risk.

If not torqued properly, they can come loose the same as the wheel, and if they are low quality material they may be more prone to cracking or breaking. There are no other down sides that I have been convinced of. :greensmok

I had 265/75/16's on TJ moabs for a long time with absolutely no rubbing issues at all. My buddy has the exact setup now, and again no issues. I don't think the spacers are necessary unless you plan on going to a 285 section width. I ran Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's, and he now runs Duractracs.

This also depends MAJORLY on what tires your run. Every MFG is different. Some are wider than others, in the exact same size.

Right now I run spidertraxx adapters with 255/75/17's (for the past 2 years) and have had ZERO issues. I have them on and off all the time as well. Torque them often and you should never have a problem.

If we're talking about slip on spacers like Talyn mentioned, I'm not a big fan of those unless you have longer studs to compensate.

Back