• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fiberglass 10 inch sub molded to rear quarter

JAlVl3Z

NAXJA Forum User
2gsfioo.jpg

66ysy1.jpg

oh4uh4.jpg

2n15nps.jpg

Here's my creation, I figured I wouldn't need the spare tire in the back so a sub enclosure would be cool to take up the same space and look stealth at the same time.

425.jpg

454.jpg

568.jpg

572.jpg

I completely forgot to take a picture with the carpeted cover over it. The cover matches the interior carpet and my mother in law sewed it for me. Flawless.

These are both incredible! Waaaaaaay better than my lame little "XJ Pod." :bawl:

Question though, how the F did you mount that spare tire one?

For those of us unfamiliar with the process of building an enclosure, would you care to elaborate on the pictures?

Here's my creation, I figured I wouldn't need the spare tire in the back so a sub enclosure would be cool to take up the same space and look stealth at the same time.

425.jpg

454.jpg

568.jpg

572.jpg

I completely forgot to take a picture with the carpeted cover over it. The cover matches the interior carpet and my mother in law sewed it for me. Flawless.

You should paint it black and label it with white letters with insert name of tires (your favorite tire company) paint the grill the color of your weels and put a spinner on it!

These are both incredible! Waaaaaaay better than my lame little "XJ Pod." :bawl:

Question though, how the F did you mount that spare tire one?

I bought a sheet or two of 3/8" "Flexible Plywood" to make the round enclusure. I used 3/4" counter top grade MDF for both sides and used a router to make the circles. After I made both sides I used both squares with the round cutout to hold the circle as a form. After gluing 3/8" flexible plywood together I fiberglassed the seams for strength. I bought an MB quart 12" shallow mount sub and used a Alpine steel grill to protect it. It is exactly the same diameter as the stock full size spare tire. I asked my mother in law to sew me up the carpet to make a cover. With the color matched cover on you would think it's just a spare.

For the mount I used 3/8" carriage bolts and counter sunk them in a piece of solid Maple. I was able to bolt the maple to the factory steel that holds the spare tire and then I countersunk 3/8" bolts to hold the speaker box to that. I was able to put the nuts on and mount the box before installing the speaker. I figured it would be a good theft deterrant. I powered it with a Zapco studio 500 bridged at just over 900 watts rms. Spectacular sound and what a clean punch without removing any of the stock space. I have more pictures somewhere of the build.

Both great builds! Fiberglass work is one of those skills on my "things to learn someday when I have time" list. I'll second the subthump for those without the skills... (Link to some install pictures in my signature if you're interested.)

Last edited:
I think the sub thump box looks awesome. I considered getting it when I first got my xj, but the cubic feet is only .32 :( I dont think any amount of polyfill would make that sound good.

I will start building a write up to help you guys that have a lil fiberglass experience.

I would gladly sell them If anyone would be interested in buying one. Installation is only 3 screws. I will offer vinyl wrap, carpet, or a truckbed coating like I have. Just pm me.

- also check out my fiberglass door panels
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089394

Last edited:
I think the sub thump box looks awesome. I considered getting it when I first got my xj, but the cubic feet is only .32 :( I dont think any amount of polyfill would make that sound good.

I will start building a write up to help you guys that have a lil fiberglass experience.

I would gladly sell them If anyone would be interested in buying one. Installation is only 3 screws. I will offer vinyl wrap, carpet, or a truckbed coating like I have. Just pm me.

With and/or without the sub? What kind of price you talking here

Depending on the price I would be interested in one for my 12" JL Audio W3-V3. I would prefer it bare so I can either wrap it or coat it myself since I am not sure what I would want on it yet. What would pricing be on something like that?

I thought it sounded great, but I was looking for a nice balanced system, not monster bass

Back