• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB's in the tires

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a brand new set of crager wheels and bfg m/t km2's and im going to put them on myself to save some cash, and a buddy has the machine. I have heard several stories about guys running a small amount brass bb's in there tires to balance them. I like this idea, 1 it saves on balancing costs 2 you arent going to lose bb's out of the tire while wheeling 3 there wont be any wieghts to get knocked off the rim. I have also heard that say youve been mudding and some mud is stuck to your tires, the bb's will just rearange themselves to make up for it untill the mud is gone and then go back to where ever they were before. I like the concept and everyone ive talked to says that its works, but what they dont tell you is how much they used per tire or if you need to put in anything to keep them from corroding or something to lubricate them with.

I have 15x10 wheels, and 33x 12.5 r15's I dont know if there is a chart or certin amounts or even if tire and wheel size matters or if its even worth it at all. Any advice would help. thanks

I found a chart online, it recommened 8 ounces for 33x12.50s I put in 10 ounces and it rode fine, I then transfered them into my 35s and still good. I use Dasiy BBs, the coating rubbed off them but the inside of the tires and rims looked fine when I swapped to 35s after 2years. They sell packets you can put in, I think its called dynabead. I was cheap so I used my bb gun ammunition.

Have heard good things, never tried them yet. Dynabeads are small enough to fit thru the valve stem, but a little spendy. I think airsoft are the cheapest way to go.

Working great in my 33's. I believe for 33's they recommended 6-8 oz. I put in 7oz. I used competition-grade airsoft pellets. Cheaper air pellets will shatter, and BBs will rust.

Remember. The way this works...you can't really put too much in. I mean ya don't need a pound in each tire. but put a decent amount ( equal between the tires) in and go.

I've searched this topic recently and saw a lot on it. The only thing I can't find is if your running a beadlock rim should you add more to compensate for the added weight. I'm running 36" iroks(bias) 15x10 soft 8 rims with DIY beadlocks

Super heavy tire + super heavy rim....yeah, i'd dump a ton in there.

Okay this is a new one to me. But reading thru this and seeing how many have heard about it maybe someone can explain it more clrealy. So you no longer need wheel weights or balancing the tires. Just throw in the correct amount of BB's and go.

If this is true shit ive got a tire machine just no balancer so its pretty easy to throw in some BB's.

It isn't perfect. but yes they will balance them pretty damn well. the force will always try to equalize. so bb spread to balance out.

IIRC, I put in ~10oz of airsoft BB's in my 35" DIY beadlocks...worked like a champ.

I tried this with 30s on stock 15" steelies... it didn't work very well at all for me.
May need to try with more BBs if there is ever a next time.
Use adhesive backed weights on the inside of the rim and never look back...

Working great in my 33's. I believe for 33's they recommended 6-8 oz. I put in 7oz. I used competition-grade airsoft pellets. Cheaper air pellets will shatter, and BBs will rust.

Nothing particularly wrong with cheap pellets, as long as they are plastic. The problems I have seen were from using the heavier clay air soft pellets, they will turn to powder in a short time.

H.D. Offroad is running tests right now on a new product line.....will be comparable to competition but much much more affordable.

It works! Dynabead / Counteract / Airsoft

This really does work - I use Counteract brand - they are tiny and purpose designed. I actually use them in my Hayabusa tires as well and they balance well up to 175mph or more! Once you switch to them you won't ever need a tire shop again.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089210

Re: It works! Dynabead / Counteract / Airsoft

I did some research on these as well. Some things I learned:
- They won't balance well below 35-40 mph
- certain types will clump together when condensation hits them, therefore defeating the purpose, causing vibes anyway
- as someone said, buy the correct ones. BBs will rust - you don't want rusted beads inside your tires

Found some more info here as to how they work

All opinions aside, I like the idea & am looking for an affordable set.

I have dynabeads in my Dodge Ram Cummins diesel, Jeep Liberty KJ, and Jeep Cherokee XJ. My advice is to add more than what is recommended. It won’t hurt to be over the recommended weight but you may have slight vibration if you are under the weight needed to balance the tire. It take my tires up to 60 - 80 seconds before the tires to smooth out when you are accelerating hard and going from a slow speed to a fast speed quickly. It takes time for the beads to disperse evenly.

Back