• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended brake line questions

amorth

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I installed the passenger side Chevy C1500 brake line on my 2000 Sport AW4. The end of the new line that attaches to the back of the caliper did not seat correctly at first because of a "lip" that is on the caliper - I filed down that lip a bit to make room for the new line mount. I used the copper washers that were included (one between the banjo bolt head and line mount and the other between the line mount and caliper). After bolting it in, am I supposed to see the washer that sits between the caliper and the new line mount - isn't it supposed to "crush" so that the mount sits flush with the caliper so it doesn't leak? There's no fluid in this line yet to test that it leaks because I'm doing the drivers side tonight.

A link to my photos of what I'm describing is below. One pic shows that the line is mounted really close to the bleeder valve (there's actually about 1/8" of a gap between them). Do you foresee problems with the way the line is routed?

http://s1074.beta.photobucket.com/user/thromada/library/

Thanks for you input! :)

It looks ok but the way you have the line twisted like that is no good also you should have filled the hose not the clapper but when you need to replace them just file the end fitting.I cant seem to find any pictures of my lines to show a better route just pull the caliper off and turn it untill it looks smooth Also it looks like you put the line on wrong look at your other line befroe you think your done because my line comes off the back under the bleeder not out of the top in front of the bleeder.

As far as the lip- I just flipped the line over, no more lip. I can see my washers too, no leaks, brake pedal feels just fine.

I think your mounting position is fine though. I mounted mine more horizontally; the only thing I would be worried about is crushing your line under compression. Maybe?

Thanks for the responses. I went back and remounted the line and now there is no twist - I feel more confident in that too.

Now I'm having a second problem - bleeding the damn brakes. I've done this a few times (albeit never after replacing any lines) and I know there is really nothing to it (I've even done plenty of googling and youtube videos to make sure I'm doing it correctly). But for some reason, I'm not getting it done. I admit, I bought one of those cheap HF one-man bleeder kits for this job. It seems to do pretty well. I added new fluid to the reservoir and got to a point that I'm now pulling the new fluid through the lines, but I'm not getting any fluid through without air. I can hear a gurgling or hissing sound as I bleed it at the bleeder. Also, I think at one point I let the reservoir get too low because I opened the cap once and I heard a very faint gurgling. Anyway, I bled this for about an hour (starting at the passenger rear) but am not getting anywhere. Should I just dump this POS HF tool and do it the old fashioned way and should I be expecting to do this for a few hours since there is clearly air in the lines after installing new ones, or is there possibly something else wrong?

Thanks again for any help! :D

Well ... let it settle for a day, then start over ... I do it the old fashioned way. Find a short tube or 2x4 that is long enough to hold the brake pedal down by jamming it between the seat and pedal. A good old mason jar and clear vynl tubing (think it was 5/16" tube) is all the fancy stuff I use. Make sure the other end of the line is submerged in clean brake fluid. Then, while pressure is applied, open hte bleeder, then close it once fluid stops moving, and you're done when it's (the tube) full of bubble free fluid.

Might be an idea to let it gravity bleed as well, and get some clean fluid in there all around, just keep the MC topped up or you'll need to bleed that too.

all 4 wheels usually takes me ~45mins to 1hr depending on how much PITA I have (this includes finding crap, setting up crap, restting up crap 'cause I had the wrong crap to start ...

You may be loosening the bleeder too much and it is letting air pasted the threads. Tighten them slowly and keep trying until either fluid with no air comes out or just nothing at all.

Back