• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pairing leaf spring w/ extended shackle

JeepN4kc

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a RC 4.5" AAL that combines an extended shackle and AAL for the lift in the rear. I'd like to start pricing out full spring packs to eventually replace the AAL but I'm not sure what spring height to look at. I'd like to stay as close to 4.5" as possible - no lower, of course - I don't want any backward rake.

The shackle measures 6.125" eye to eye which is from what I found 3" over stock - yielding around 1.5 inches of the rear lift?

If I add a Rusty's or RE 3.5" full spring pack that would bring me to 5 inches in the back give/take?

Are most of the 3.5" leafs gonna run true to the marketed height?

I currently have a RC 4.5" AAL that combines an extended shackle and AAL for the lift in the rear. I'd like to start pricing out full spring packs to eventually replace the AAL but I'm not sure what spring height to look at. I'd like to stay as close to 4.5" as possible - no lower, of course - I don't want any backward rake.

The shackle measures 6.125" eye to eye which is from what I found 3" over stock - yielding around 1.5 inches of the rear lift?

If I add a Rusty's or RE 3.5" full spring pack that would bring me to 5 inches in the back give/take?

Are most of the 3.5" leafs gonna run true to the marketed height?

My buddy has RE leafs and he's having a hard time getting them to settle... He's been on 3 wheeling trips or so and they still won't flex for him... What's your budget for leafs like? Ideally if money wasn't an option I'd look at deaver or BDS. All leafs are going to be a little tall at first until they settle.

My buddy has RE leafs and he's having a hard time getting them to settle... He's been on 3 wheeling trips or so and they still won't flex for him... What's your budget for leafs like? Ideally if money wasn't an option I'd look at deaver or BDS. All leafs are going to be a little tall at first until they settle.

I don't neccessarily have a budget right now as it's something I'm just looking into and trying to research and get price comps. I'll definately look into the BDS and I've never heard of Deaver but I'll look into those too.

It's looking like I'll have 5-5.5" if I combine a leaf pack with the extended shackles. I've already got a front driveshaft from an auto 2001 XJ to combine with an SYE for the rear driveline down the road. I don't want too much of a rake but I'd like to add a rear tire carrier eventually as well so the added rake might get gobbled up with the added weight of that and fuel tank skid and hitch.

Thanks for the info!

Deavers aren't just any leaf they are THE leaf... From what I understand they are like the Ferrari of the super car world. They are multiple thin military wrapped leafs that won't go to crap after a year and BDS has a no questions asked warranty, if you break em they will swap em. Deaver coils/leafs are what jeep speed guys use.

What size tire do you plan to run? What kind of suspension up front? My buddy has 6 or 7" lift on 33's, he got the RE 5.5" leafs and 1.5" lift shackles and he just doesn't flex nearly as well in the back as my 4" total lift including jKS shackles... It just has more range of motion than his does.

Ya i have the RE 5.5 HD leafs. I ended up yanking a leaf out of my pack to get more uptravle on my leafs. Still they wont stuff a tire. If you look for a set of used RE 4.5s (older ones) they were great springs. But trying to find a set for sale is the hard part. I know there is a guy here in bakersfield selling a set on a local clubs site.

What type of wheeling are you looking at doing? A cheap and easy way to get around 4.5 is to go down to a JY grab a set of MJ leafs and cut the eyes off the main and cut them to fit onto your main leaf. I did this on my old set up and it flexed great, great ride, no issues.

Oh and mikey (maxxXJ) F**& YOU LMAO

So far i've been really liking my Iron Rock Offroad springs. They are 3.5" lift and a little more budget friendly than the BDS or Deaver but still have the features.

I was in the same boat as you--wanted to end up with about 5" overall, but i had a 2" shackle and also the shackle relocation boxes (add about .5 to .75"). I ended up drilling some holes higher up on the shackles i had and cutting the excess off.

I also have some MJ shackles (~5/8" lift) i could sell for cheap ;)

If you can't get them to flex take a leaf out for a while. I'm still running Chevy 1/2 ton pickup springs I put in back in 92-93 but they are Deaver spring that was in Santa Ana California, I don't know if its the same Deaver.

Ya i have the RE 5.5 HD leafs. I ended up yanking a leaf out of my pack to get more uptravle on my leafs. Still they wont stuff a tire. If you look for a set of used RE 4.5s (older ones) they were great springs. But trying to find a set for sale is the hard part. I know there is a guy here in bakersfield selling a set on a local clubs site.

What type of wheeling are you looking at doing? A cheap and easy way to get around 4.5 is to go down to a JY grab a set of MJ leafs and cut the eyes off the main and cut them to fit onto your main leaf. I did this on my old set up and it flexed great, great ride, no issues.

Lol Aj you still got me by far with your long arms but my rear S10 leafs like me better :)

Deavers aren't just any leaf they are THE leaf... From what I understand they are like the Ferrari of the super car world. They are multiple thin military wrapped leafs that won't go to crap after a year and BDS has a no questions asked warranty, if you break em they will swap em. Deaver coils/leafs are what jeep speed guys use.

What size tire do you plan to run? What kind of suspension up front? My buddy has 6 or 7" lift on 33's, he got the RE 5.5" leafs and 1.5" lift shackles and he just doesn't flex nearly as well in the back as my 4" total lift including jKS shackles... It just has more range of motion than his does.

I'm running w/ 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s. Up front is the RC 4.5" coils that mated w/ the rear AAL (it was lifted when I bought it). I took a look at Deavers and for that $ they better be the $h!t !!!

I've been eyeballin CL and my local Jeep club for a set of used leaf springs. The wheelin I like to do is mostly moderate and some difficult trails. I don't like mud and am willing to start crawling some rock. The XJ is new to me so I've yet to determine it's limits and my driving limits while wheelin it (I've been wheelin an IFS Jeep WK - '07 JGC). I don't wanna break the bank on this rig but I don't wanna go cheap on the suspension either.

So far i've been really liking my Iron Rock Offroad springs. They are 3.5" lift and a little more budget friendly than the BDS or Deaver but still have the features.

I was in the same boat as you--wanted to end up with about 5" overall, but i had a 2" shackle and also the shackle relocation boxes (add about .5 to .75"). I ended up drilling some holes higher up on the shackles i had and cutting the excess off.

I also have some MJ shackles (~5/8" lift) i could sell for cheap ;)

So - are you saying the MJ shackles are 5/8" lift over stock XJ shackles?
I was actually looking at those IRO's and some RE leaf packs from Serious Offroad Products.

If you can't get them to flex take a leaf out for a while. I'm still running Chevy 1/2 ton pickup springs I put in back in 92-93 but they are Deaver spring that was in Santa Ana California, I don't know if its the same Deaver.

Same Deaver. They have been in that location a loooong time.

So - are you saying the MJ shackles are 5/8" lift over stock XJ shackles?
I was actually looking at those IRO's and some RE leaf packs from Serious Offroad Products.

Yes, 5/8" over stock.
I have not heard good things about the current RE springs, it sounds like they're all made in china now and they have some sag issues. But, i could be wrong (and they might warranty them, i don't know). I basically went with the IRO's because they were the cheapest i could find that didn't have any reports of sagging.

Yes, 5/8" over stock.
I have not heard good things about the current RE springs, it sounds like they're all made in china now and they have some sag issues. But, i could be wrong (and they might warranty them, i don't know). I basically went with the IRO's because they were the cheapest i could find that didn't have any reports of sagging.

PM sent...........

Yes, 5/8" over stock.

Ya these RE springs i have are the new ones... Not too happy with them. But modify them and they arent bad lol. They do have a warrenty though. I got mine from 4wheel parts. So that is a plus.

To the OP. I used to run a mj shackle and a bastard pack. You may want to look into that. Its cheap and efficent...

I'm currently shopping for new shackles right now too. My RC leaf pack failed me, so they're sending me out a new pair; figured I might as well toss in some shackles while I'm at it.

For what its worth: tal4x4.com has JKS and Zone shackles for the XJ. They're doing free shipping right now until next friday, and if you sign up for their newletter, you get a one time use 10% off coupon.

Flexed out with Jks shackles and S-10 leaf bastard pack...
Full droop
57b00057.jpg

Close to full compression... Limited by my bump stops.
53964702-067F-4E4B-BF2D-6EF4FBDD45D5-19673-0000106375E0A19D.jpg

How she sits normal height.
f08e81d9.jpg

Not super amazing but for $35 leafs(1/2 priced weekend at JY) and $99 shackles ... I'll take it :)

Looks like a good deal! Just FYI i had a pair of springs shipped a month ago through UPS and it was $100.

Back