• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help lifting/lowering for ride comfort

xoticxj

NAXJA Forum User
Years ago I bought a Rough Country 4.5" kit. The front still sits @5.5" and the rear @ 4.5". Which is fine but I have recently had back surgery and simply can't take the "rough"ness anymore. So I pulled the shocks to see if perhaps some softer ones would help, ya they were not joking when they named their company Rough Country. Both front and rear springs HAVE to go. I was at the point of considering just throwing the stock parts under there until I picked them out of the "scrap pile" and realize the rubbers are trashed, front coils could use some paint, and the rear springs are long gone.
Now I am looking at replacing the front/rear springs, all 4 shocks, and most of the bushings if I have to use the stock front lower control arms. There is a lot of road noise and vibrations transferred through the xtra rough poly bushings. Basically a new lift or "lowering" kit is in order here. I don't have a problem kicking my leg up 30" to get in but most of my riders DO lol, so something around the 2.5"-3" mark would be about right I think. So what out there will not compromise the softness of the stock ride quality and still keep her up high enough to clear some 31X10.5" BFG A/T's? I also have a pair of 1.5" lifting shackles I could throw under there to get the rear up some. I do not mind mixing parts here and there either as long as things do not get too expensive.

I had a set of RE 3.5" leafs that were like that.
I suggest a set of light or medium duty OME 2.5" leafs and matching coils. Medium duty if you carry a bit of cargo, light if you normally run empty.
Lowering the overall height will improved the control arm angles, helping to soften the ride. 5.5" is way to high for short arms, the ride would be rough even with the best springs and shocks.
OME sells a comfort shock, same as their regular shocks but with softer valving. You could always use an inexpensive Gabriel or Monroe shock if money is tight.
Sell the RC springs to recoup some of your money.

I run BDS springs and Bilstein gas shocks and have a comfy ride. the Heep is sitting up about 5" or so. I too have issue with my back so it was imperative that the ride be as soft as possible. Plus, it is a long arm.

I appreciate the responses and advice. I have always heard great things about the OME ride quality. I guess I am going to have to save just a bit more than I was initially expecting and go that route.

I too have BDS, the complete 3inch with leafs springs.
While it's a firm ride (I like), it's far from jarring or bouncey. When I have to take my 78 yr old father places he actually doesn't complain.
bjimwy.jpg

I am running a RE lift with Bilstein 5100's it rides great on and offroad. My buddy josh has a ome lift on his Xj with ome shocks he thinks mine rides just as nice as his Xj

With a lifted Heep, ride quality will depend upon what type of control arms are being ran. Short arms, short arms with drop brackets, mid or long arms. The closer you can get the geometry of the CAs to stock (parallel to the ground at rest), the smoother the ride. And, if you think about how the arms and the axle traverse, you will understand.

A stock Heep cycles from "flat" both directions so the resistance to motion on the up stroke is virtually nil as the axle moves backwards from the neutral position. Now you raise the Heep and the axle must move forward as it moves up putting the arm into resistance harshening the ride. This is due to the arms no longer being level in the neutral position. It is geometry at it's finest...

So, to get a ride in a lifted Heep that is as good as stock is difficult. Geometry plus stiff springs plus stiff shocks equal harsh ride. The springs and shocks can be addressed easily, the CAs not so easily. Given the height of your Heep, drop brackets (and new arms to go with...) are a minimum must do to get the ride quality as good as possible.

LAs are even better. I run 4 link LAs and no, they do not bind...

I run BDS springs and Bilstein gas shocks and have a comfy ride. the Heep is sitting up about 5" or so. I too have issue with my back so it was imperative that the ride be as soft as possible. Plus, it is a long arm.

I too have BDS, the complete 3inch with leafs springs.
While it's a firm ride (I like), it's far from jarring or bouncey. When I have to take my 78 yr old father places he actually doesn't complain.

What both of them said ^^ it's a little pricey but Really high quality and good ride!

I can't say from experience which leaves to use since all my jeeps has shackles and add-a-leafs, but I can tell you the best coils I ever ran were Rubicon Express. For shocks, you can't beat Blistiens unless you spend a whole lot more money. Run control arms with rubber bushings on both ends of the arms. It helps to add a little weight to the rear cargo area. Also, make sure your shackle angle is somewhere near 45 degrees.

i too built my current xj w a good ride, in mind. this is what i did.

shackle relocation brackets (new angle will def improve ride - similar to explanation of control arm angles. look at your shackles, are they near vertical?)

OME light duty leafs. Ran me about $280 for the pair w/free shipping, and including bushings. The light duty gives about a 2.25" lift, and i combined them w/a .75" lift shackle, and relocation brackets to get about 3.25-3.5" lift. Has a slight rake.

i got a deal on some near new RC 3" coils. their spring rate complemented the OME leafs so i went w/those and the ride is not bad because my LCA angle is not bad. i have ironman4x4 LCA w/flex bushings. i prefer them to joints.

the ride is actually pretty damn good. just a bit stiffer than stock, but im sure it's also because im running pro comp es3000 shocks. not the best, but i got them cheap w/the coils.

so i'd run the light duty OME leafs in back w/a longer shackle, and relocation brackets. a nice set of front coils (i also had rustys before and they were SOFT), and some OME long travel shocks, or monroe sensa-tracs (i read are basically OME), or some other shocks. control arms, well whatever you prefer. imo rubber bushings wont flex as well, but will dampen road vibration better.

Thanks guys for all of the information and personal experience with your lifts. You have defiantly given me A LOT to think about and take into consideration when buying the new lift components. Especially the part concerning the angles involved with the lower control arms. I never even thought about that coming into play, but that is one of the best things about the interwebz and public forums!!!! Now, hopefully, I will spend my money wisely and put the right components under her so we can get some miles on her!!

If you are lifted that high on short arms, your LCAs are likely at an angle down - not parallel to the street. A portion of the road bump energy that is supposed to be absorbed by the suspension, is actually going into the frame, contributing to a harsh ride.

A control arm drop kit will bring your arms back to parallel and the road bumps back up into the suspension, where they belong in a much better geometry.

I did it on my 4.5" RE lift, coupled with Bilstein 5100s and now it rides like a caddy - very soft on the front.

I have not figured out what to do with the rear yet. The springs are tight and hard. I am not sure at all that a shackle relocation kit coupled with some JKS boomerangs will make it that much softer....

I have not figured out what to do with the rear yet. The springs are tight and hard. I am not sure at all that a shackle relocation kit coupled with some JKS boomerangs will make it that much softer....

This is the way to go in the rear.This will improve your ride

Back